OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coming Soon: change in forum software

Go down 
+2
Watson
Lise
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lise
Admin
Lise

Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty
PostSubject: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty8/16/2010, 8:10 pm

Hello Everyone,

In the next couple of weeks we'll be changing the look of the forum as we take it off of Forumotion.com and into another format and hosting service.

The current setup is ok, but not great, and better options are available. The non-working search function is a big negative, as several members here have pointed out, and the Forumotion.com staff have no plans to fix the problem. In addition we would like to have a working "draft" function, so that written material in not lost when navigating between the "reply" screen and other pages.

There are also issues with the Registration Terms and Conditions that appear when a new member tries to register. The Forumotion.com company has its own T&Cs, written in somewhat fractured English, that I would like to replace with custom terms for OBC Connect. One example is Forumotion's requirement that people "make an effort with spelling and grammar" when posting. That's just silly, in my opinion -- I have no interest in whether our members are good spellers. I can't modify the terms and conditions that Forumotion has created, so that is another incentive to move the forum to another platform.

I'll post another announcement to let you know of any service outages while we're moving the forum database. Thanks in advance for your patience with technical glitches that may arise. Hopefully they'll be quickly resolved.

thanks,
Lise
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Watson
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty8/24/2010, 10:46 pm

What software are you changing to?
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty8/25/2010, 9:11 am

Hello Watson, and welcome to the forum.

The decision isn't finalized but I should know shortly. I'm getting assistance from others who are more competent in technical issues and I think they are finishing up reviews.

cheers,
L
Back to top Go down
Carol

Carol

PostSubject: Re: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty9/9/2010, 1:16 pm

This is totally off any subject, but does anyone know how to chance the clock on this forum? What time zone is it set for? It's way off my time zone and it's driving me crazy!
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty9/9/2010, 2:12 pm

violet wrote:
This is totally off any subject, but does anyone know how to chance the clock on this forum? What time zone is it set for? It's way off my time zone and it's driving me crazy!

After logging in click on Profile, then Preferences. Scroll down a ways to Time Zone. To select the correct zone you have to know where you are in relation to GMT, which is Greenwich Mean Time. If you go to Greenwichmeantime.com it will help you determine the correct "+" or "-" number for your local time. Hope this helps. If you still have difficulty you're welcome to PM me and just tell me which time zone you're in - I'll get back to you with the correct number.
Back to top Go down
Carol

Carol

PostSubject: Re: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty9/9/2010, 6:20 pm

Thank you, Isan! I appreciate your help.
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty9/12/2010, 9:18 am

Isan, thanks from me too -- I didn't realize this was available on the forum.

L.
Back to top Go down
Hisoka

PostSubject: Re: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty10/17/2010, 8:30 pm

How is this update going please? I only registered because I wanted to use your "search" function, and now I know why I can't!!
Back to top Go down
amalia

PostSubject: Re: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty10/18/2010, 3:39 am

all you have to do is open google and type something like this:

"shasta site:https://obcconnect.forumotion.net"

and you will be searching for your search term on this site
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty10/18/2010, 7:54 am

Thanks Amalia -

Hi Hisoka - sorry for the delay with the software changeover. We finally settled on vBulletin and I have been working on the new site a little at a time, copying threads over and learning the admin functions. There are differences that will need to be explained to users once we switch over, and I have to understand the new system better before attempting that.

Thank you for joining the forum, and please let us know if you're looking for a specific topic. Some members have been here since discussions started and they could likely help if you want to know whether certain subjects have been raised.

Regards,
Lise
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coming Soon: change in forum software   Coming Soon:  change in forum software Empty

Back to top Go down

Coming Soon: change in forum software
Page 1 of 1