OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty
PostSubject: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty5/1/2014, 3:07 am

I can not remember the year I parted company with Jiju Kennett mid 70s somewhere same time just about as Mark.
It was quite an adjusting time of learning to practice in society,I worked with delinquent black kids and unmarried young mothers,I was the only white person there in an inner city in London that was full of race riots at the time I was in the middle, the black youth were suspicious,the white people  thought I was a traitor,it got a bit heavy one of my co workers was nearly killed,and because of children,I split for safety and Cornwall.
The whole period was difficult leaving an organisation that I once believed in, it was a struggle.
A year ago I refriended through face book one of my co workers and friend a lovely West Indian girl now woman,and yesterday I was rightly tickled pink when,a very big black guy came to our factory for some fire wood, one bag was light so I gave him one an extra one for free,I asked him what sport he did as he was very toned,was it rugby or boxing..no it was power lifting,we had a chat about sport and racial issues in sport,he was from London,I told him of my time with the youth club,his wife joined in the conversation and told me it was still there as she lived very close,and the money we raised to build a bigger centre had been well spent as that centre was still there, They could not believe the connections of the story,they knew all about it , the riots and battles. I told them funny stories of the struggle,they could not believe it all and kept saying I was a legend,and kept shaking my hand. It all brings back great memories of bonding and solidarity,I am very proud of what we all did then and always remember the loud music and laughter,and for me it helped give me a balance, and what i thought was as training could be deepened and widened through normal living
Back to top Go down
Carol

Carol

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty5/1/2014, 7:04 pm

Thanks for sharing the story of their visit. It's rare in life when we see the impact of what we did so long ago. Leaving JK was the right thing for you, wasn't it? As well as the right thing for those kids you helped.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty5/4/2014, 4:02 pm

Leaving JK was the right thing for you, wasn't it?
I think Carol when one thinks one cant ,or one is dependant on staying, or one is not allowed to leave freely without issues,then for me it is the right time to leave.
In my limited experience it is life that teaches one compassion and love ,a good teacher can live it a poor teacher pretends.
Back to top Go down
david.

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty5/5/2014, 3:20 am

Strange sometimes the synchronistic connections that appear out of nowhere....

I feel like I get a real sense of the intensity and trying to swim in the fire.

For me living it means not so self-controlled, and feeling it in all its intensity, pain, pleasure etc.  

Sounds like something to have done, Michael.

As the Book of Great Wisdom says "Oh Oh! Run away, run away!!!!!"
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty5/5/2014, 4:36 am

Well of course it is difficult to convey meanings sometimes,  in words
Not sure about running away
Back to top Go down
david.

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty5/5/2014, 6:19 am

I was responding to your "I split for safety"... Maybe it was more of a dignified retreat?
Back to top Go down
david.

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty5/5/2014, 8:58 am

Just realised my comment on running away may be taken as serious, it was an attempt at gallows humour.... as was the dignified retreat comment..... 

of course i've never run away from anything, I always choose the speedy dignified retreat option....
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty5/5/2014, 9:51 am

Well it was a complicated retreat or leaving.
There were many political overtures, vast sums of money were going into urban black problem areas, the people who needed help did not always receive it which meant the people with serious issues were at a point when they trusted no one,we were not short of good wishes and offers, including contact from members of the Royal family. So a wobbly situation,which really I felt should be fought out by my friends there who were black,it was their problem to fight,I certainly gave my best, my parting gift was to hire a bus and take the unmarried mums and their kids to London Zoo for the day. We had a great day, and said goodbye,with hugs and kisses.
My regret is I lost contact
Back to top Go down
danstaples

danstaples

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty6/14/2014, 5:39 am

On the subject of leaving contact with Shasta, I wonder if anyone has had sudden experiences years on where they have feelings of complete empathy with other living things, even bugs. I thought Haryo told me that these were kenshos, meditation's stripping away of the hardening of our hearts "needed" for material society. As I recall, he mentioned on kensho where the monk had such a deep experience that she was literally frozen, being afraid to stir and inadvertently crush insects...
Gassho.
Dan Staples
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty6/14/2014, 7:13 am

I believe meditation will lead to empathy compassion and love for all life, your exprience clearly meant something to you,which can only be a good thing
Back to top Go down
mstrathern
Admin
mstrathern

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty6/15/2014, 5:44 am

Dan, as I have quoted before, St John of the Cross said 'live in the monastery as if you are on your own', which is exactly the sentiment that I think your talking about. The important thing with this as with so much else is to take it positively not negatively. It does not mean to armor yourself and shut everyone else out and isolate yourself from your surroundings but to pay no attention to the froth and soap opera that constantly drags ones attention away from what is important.
Back to top Go down
danstaples

danstaples

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty8/16/2015, 8:08 am

Do you think RMJK knew just sort of where we'd all go through her no-doubt exceptional abilities of prediction? That is to start priories and become night auditors, to teach or counsel, to work in the tech field? And did she direct us just enough out of our comfort zones to hopefully assure we'd never not be at least a little hungry for spiritual progress?
Back to top Go down
mstrathern
Admin
mstrathern

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty8/16/2015, 10:17 am

No Dan I'm afraid I don't, her predictive powers never struck me as up to much. In the end I think she got caught up in the froth and soap opera of her own spirituality.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty8/17/2015, 5:15 am

The word Spirituality needs defining a little, I have read some brilliant perceptive quotes recently from The Pope and The Dali Lama,the pope saying there was a need to redefine as alot of people now can see God and church in nature.It is so easily to think that entering a religion is a spiritual path or that overcoming an emotional issue is an awakening
Jiyu may have had froth and soap in her spirituality or was that the froth and soap that she carried with her and could not put down
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett   A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett Empty

Back to top Go down

A brief reminder of leaving Jiju Kennett
Page 1 of 1