OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A bit puzzled and lazy

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sianabelle

sianabelle

A bit puzzled and lazy Empty
PostSubject: A bit puzzled and lazy   A bit puzzled and lazy Empty10/23/2014, 4:02 am

Apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseam, but I can't remember why there's more than one internet forum website for the OBC. Is it so that there's a space for more extreme viewpoints to be aired?

Thinking of Bright Moon
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

PostSubject: Re: A bit puzzled and lazy   A bit puzzled and lazy Empty10/23/2014, 6:43 am

Not sure what you mean Sianabelle.....more extreme than what ?
As far as i can tell, there isn`t an `Official`OBC  "Forum" website .  The official OBC website
isn`t a Forum so, I guess you`re differentiating between OBC Connect and Bright Moon ?

Bright Moon seems to be aimed at Practitioners within the OBC and being broadly in agreement
with their teachings and hierarchy . I never post there as i`m not a practitioner within the gamut
of the OBC and find it limiting.  I also don`t post because as I don`t feel a need to air my personal
disagreements with the methodology and teachings there.  I respect the sincere expressions of
training there and the folks that share that commitment.  So, I feel that I would be an unnecessary
source of friction , now and then.......despite wanting to join in with some of the discussions.
I also find it just a touch `churchy`.  It feels like a point made strongly or forcefully would be seen
as breaking a precept and causing `dis-harmony` within the Sangha.

As you`re no doubt aware, OBC Connect is not like that at all and doesn`t exist for the benefit of
the OBC per se.  So yes, ALL sorts of viewpoints can be and are aired .....which I respect and I
respect the honest views expressed here too !  I certainly don`t agree with them all but I don`t
feel as if i`ve committed a `sin` if I express a disagreement. 
It`s kind of saying similar things but choosing to say them in church...or the pub ?  I prefer the
pub myself as the church attitude can get a bit uptight. Plus....anything goes away from church !

So, what`s your definition of "more extreme" ?   Got any dirt to dish ?  Ha ha....  I didn`t really
mean that last bit, of course.  ;-)
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: A bit puzzled and lazy   A bit puzzled and lazy Empty10/23/2014, 8:57 am

sianabelle wrote:
Apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseam, but I can't remember why there's more than one internet forum website for the OBC. Is it so that there's a space for more extreme viewpoints to be aired?

Thinking of Bright Moon

To Stan's reply I would just add that although Bright Moon is largely aligned with the OBC it does not represent them in an official way.  This is from the Bright Moon site:

Bright Moon is an independent website; it does not fall under the administration of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, and the OBC is not responsible for its contents. The views expressed on the website are those of the participants and do not necessarily represent those of the Order as a whole, or those of the Bright Moon admin team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A bit puzzled and lazy   A bit puzzled and lazy Empty

Back to top Go down

A bit puzzled and lazy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OBC Connect :: OBC Connect :: Why is OBC Connect here?-
Jump to: