OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty
PostSubject: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/15/2013, 6:08 pm

DAIYUZENJI - POLICY REGARDING ORDAINED OR TEACHER STATUS IN ZEN

In response to many misconceptions that are evident regarding the roles of ordained persons in Zen
Buddhism as well as Zen teachers, including those with the title of Roshi or “Zen master”, Daiyuzenji
has adopted the following policy and definitions:

1.Ordination in the Zen tradition, whether it be fully celibate, monastic ordination (commonly
translated as “monk” and “nun”) or modified, non-celibate ordination (sometimes called
“priest”), signifies only that the ordained has made a personal life commitment to Buddhist
practice. It does not entail or imply the conferral of any spiritual authority, pastoral leadership
or counseling role. Ordained persons are not necessarily trained to offer spiritual or
psychological counseling to others. They may choose to relate their own individual
experiences of Zen practice; however these experiences may not be relevant to other persons,
and should not be viewed as authoritative.

2.Persons certified as Zen teachers (whether they be ordained or laypersons) are qualified to
teach others the methods of Zen practice, such as meditation. However, they are not
necessarily trained as spiritual authorities, pastoral advisers or psychological counselors, and
are not to be viewed as such. They are to be viewed simply as experienced peers in the
practice of Zen. The term “Zen master” (Roshi or Rokoji), when used, does not imply a
hierarchical position above others in the sense of “master above disciples”, but rather mastery
of (i.e. proficiency in) the methods of Zen practice.

3.Buddhism is not a religion as commonly defined in Western cultures. The practice of
Buddhism, including Zen, does not require the acceptance of or adherence to particular
doctrines regarding a spiritual reality. Buddhism does not enjoin a belief in any deity, or any
code of morality conferred by a higher, non-human spiritual power. Teachings given by Zen
ordained persons and/or teachers regarding Buddhist philosophy, theory and practice are
therefore not pronouncements of doctrine, are not formally endorsed as dogma
organizationally or institutionally, and do not represent an exhortation to accept or believe, the
refusal of which entails consequences.

4.Persons practicing Zen are responsible for their own spiritual development, beliefs and
psychological well-being. They are encouraged to seek out formal spiritual direction or
psychological counseling as needed from therapists or other persons trained in those
professional disciplines.
Back to top Go down
mstrathern
Admin
mstrathern

Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/15/2013, 7:20 pm

Thanks Josh - great stuff. Now all we have to do is convince the Masters/Teachers! .....and also their followers.
Back to top Go down
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/15/2013, 7:23 pm

sounds like a lot of work....
Back to top Go down
mstrathern
Admin
mstrathern

PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/15/2013, 7:31 pm

Was ever thus. People always want something special, and to be something special. Ah well! Back to the present, won't make a great film too humdrum, but reality's the only show in town.
Back to top Go down
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/15/2013, 8:37 pm

Where's the "like" button?

And along these lines, to check out some great guidelines on ethical practice, etc…, here's the link to Upaya's Code of Ethics:

http://www.upaya.org/about/ethics
Back to top Go down
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/16/2013, 9:56 am

what i found interesting about this Rinzai group was how they made clear that being a zen "master" or teacher did not mean you were all knowing or that students should look to such people for advice or guidance outside the narrow confines of zen practice.  Of course, we have no idea how well this ideal is lived in this group (behavior is everything), but its useful to note at least how they are talking about what it means or does not mean to be a teacher.  

This week, the New Republic ran a big story about Moon / Unification Church - in the wake of his death and how his family is waring with each other and how his wife has taken control of the empire.  A good friend of mine is an ex-moonie, so i know something about this group through him.  Here is a link:
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115512/unification-church-profile-fall-house-moon
and other relevant links:
http://www.salon.com/2004/06/21/moon_7/
here is the recent event where Moon's wife had herself re-crowned in one of the most bizarre events
https://vimeo.com/60230165
this all demonstrates religious mania or grandiosity - and not so different really from many other religions - new or old - whether it's Scientology or the Mormons or the Catholic Church - the Moonie example is just particularly goofy - and so the elements are louder I suppose
And do I think that Shasta and Kennett are the same as the Moonies? no I don't - but human nature is human nature - and in any religious group that believes its leader is divine and perfect -  and the group cuts off contact with the outside, with counter opinions, suppresses independent or critical thinking, and all the rest... you have cultic behavior - from mild to severe.  You have a closed distortion field - little ones, big ones, Christian ones, Buddhist ones.... the flavor is less important than the everyday toxic reality.  So when we look at this info about the Moonies, it is a mirror that shows us more examples of institutional blindness / enchantment and grandiose leaders.  And the disturbing fact that we human beings fall for this stuff, love the group mind, the absolute certainty of the leader / master....
Back to top Go down
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/16/2013, 11:20 am

and pulled from an earlier post:

1. micro-megalomaniac
A term coined by Christopher Hitchens to describe "those who are content to maintain absolute domination of a small sphere".

"micro-megalomania" - This term perfectly describes many gurus / "masters" like Kennett or Andrew Cohen or Shimano, and yes, Moon or Hubbard ... they do exercise absolute domination over a relatively small group of followers - demanding total obedience / surrender / submission, adoration, unquestioned devotion and absolute loyalty.... enlightenment, not so important... but complete loyalty - that's the highest goal, the ultimate value, the sign of the true disciple, the one who totally gets it, where there is not a millisecond of hesitation, the devotee who has obliterated him/herself in devotion, independent thought and action - gone - adulthood - gone - the devotee who will die for the guru - certainly the last year I was at Shasta, that was the driving force in the Church of Kennett.... did not sign on for that and was not interested in being that kind of zen student... but then again, Zen was fading into the background.....

Last edited by Jcbaran on 11/16/2013, 11:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/16/2013, 11:26 am

from Christopher Hitchens - who came up with the term "micro-megalomaniac"

"The conventional word that is employed to describe tyranny is "systematic." The true essence of a dictatorship is in fact not its regularity but it’s unpredictability and caprice; those who live under it must never be able to relax, must never be quite sure if they have followed the rules correctly or not. (The only rule of thumb was: whatever is not compulsory is forbidden.)

Thus, the ruled can always be found to be in the wrong. The ability to run such a "system" is among the greatest pleasures of arbitrary authority, and I count myself lucky, if that’s the word, to have worked this out by the time I was ten. Later in life I came up with the term "micro-megalomaniac" to describe those who are content to maintain absolute domination of a small sphere. I know what the germ of the idea was, alright. "Hitchens take that look off your face! " Near-instant panic. I hadn’t realized I was wearing a "look." (Face-crime!)."

See more at: http://www.wanliss.com/2011/06/hitch-22/#sthash.YCrcUWom.dpuf
Back to top Go down
George
Admin
George

PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/16/2013, 1:30 pm

In the graphic novel Lucifer (by Mike Carey and Peter Gross), Lucifer has left Hell and created his own cosmos.  He tells his first beings, "I will withhold death from you as long as you obey my one command.  Bow down to no one.  Worship no one.  Not even me."  Almost all beings from all existences who find their way to his cosmos are unable to resist the apparently universal compulsion--they want to worship or to be worshiped.  Being independent, standing on your own two (or multiple, or no) feet is hard, throughout creation.  Mommy and Daddy are always such a comfort.
Back to top Go down
George
Admin
George

PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/16/2013, 1:36 pm

"By the age of fifteen I was already an old man.  I met a mind master and a benefactor.  For a high price he shared his wisdom: Don't try to be somebody.  Don't try to be nobody.  You are already dead.  Enjoy."  Spoken by a character in John Burdett's The Godfather of Kathmandu, a series of detective novels set in Bangkok and featuring Thai policeman Sonchai Jitplecheep, a very practical Buddhist.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty11/16/2013, 7:06 pm

micro-megalomaniac......brilliant
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters   Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters Empty

Back to top Go down

Bumped into these rules from a western Rinzai temple - notice how they define teachers or masters
Page 1 of 1