OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.

Go down 
+4
Anne
mokuan
chisanmichaelhughes
Stan Giko
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty
PostSubject: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/5/2012, 1:04 pm

I wanted to put up this music as it reminded me of the great spirit that is
the USA. I had been feeling down about the American elections and the
whole Kleptocracyof the Elites that seem to be destroying freedom.

It didn`t take too long to recall that that the heart can never be enslaved.
These musicians and this song remind me that who we all are is so much
bigger than that.

Either that or, I`m getting soft in my old age ? I hope folks enjoy this.

The Pretender

I'm going to rent myself a house
In the shade of the freeway
I'm going to pack my lunch in the morning
And go to work each day
And when the evening rolls around
I'll go on home and lay my body down
And when the morning light comes streaming in
I'll get up and do it again
Amen
Say it again
Amen

I want to know what became of the changes
We waited for love to bring
Were they only the fitful dreams
Of some greater awakening
I've been aware of the time going by
They say in the end it's the wink of an eye
You'll get up and do it again
Amen

Caught between the longing for love
And the struggle for the legal tender
Where the sirens sing and the church bells ring
And the junk man pounds his fender
Where the veterans dream of the fight
Fast asleep at the traffic light
And the children solemnly wait
For the ice cream vendor
Out into the cool of the evening
Strolls the pretender
He knows that all his hopes and dreams
Begin and end there

Ah the laughter of the lovers
As they run through the night
Leaving nothing for the others
But to choose off and fight
And tear at the world with all their might
While the ships bearing their dreams
Sail out of sight

I'm going to find myself a girl
Who can show me what laughter means
And we'll fill in the missing colors
In each other's paint-by-number dreams
And then we'll put out dark glasses on
And we'll make love until our strength is gone
We'll get up and do it again
Get it up again

I'm going to be a happy [banned term]
And struggle for the legal tender
Where the ads take aim and lay their claim
To the heart and the soul of the spender
And believe in whatever may lie
In those things that money can buy
Thought true love could have been a contender
Are you there?
Say a prayer for the pretender
Who started out so young and strong
Only to surrender.

Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/5/2012, 3:44 pm

Very nice Stan
try this you are much older than me so you will remember it

https://youtu.be/9WZZjXgJ4W8
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/5/2012, 4:31 pm

Thank you my silver haired young friend.

I recall you and me and a few others listening to the `Moodies` after one of
our little `trips`. It was round at my mothers in the evening as we thought
we had better not go home in our state. My mother insisted in trying out the
`old herbal` to see what the fuss was all about. She never tried it again.
She said it gave her visions and was far too enjoyable !

Bless our Mothers.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/5/2012, 4:55 pm

This will take you back

https://youtu.be/xuUBCF3KKxc
Back to top Go down
mokuan

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/6/2012, 8:43 am

Gentlemen,

You've got me humming along.

Aaaahhh, the days of yore.

~mokuan
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/6/2012, 8:55 am

The year was 1970 I had met JK and was driving around Scotland with amazing rainbows ,lochs, and bagpipes,sort of looking foe a retreat place,when I came across someone I knew,in a tiny tiny village which had a farmhouse and 3 cottages,it was very beautiful.
I remember a girl in a purple dress beads and a bell,then some one else with long hair,and we were invited into a cottage there there were more long hairs,musical instruments,incense the lot! it was the home of some musicians and this was one of their songs

https://youtu.be/jXtKESEZQLg

Oh to be a hippy.. sit back sister and let your mind go!!!
Back to top Go down
Anne

Anne

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/6/2012, 11:20 am

:-) Indeed days of yore...

...Memory is probably faltering a bit, as I could have sworn it was 1970 when I first heard the lovely Silver Coin (written by Terry Hiscock of Hunter Muskett)...but I think the earliest version out may have been Bridget St John's in 1972; HM didn't put it out on album until 1973...

The name of this song kept eluding me. I would be half-listening to the radio, trying to get ready for work, and overhear a pretty melody (I think it was Bridget's version), and then catch the lines that (to borrow its own words) rang "like a silver coin thrown down on stone", making my hair stand on end (in the nicest way possible, of course!), thinking "Wow, what is that song?" I would rush into the room where the radio was, waiting to hear the name when it ended, but the DJ always moved onto something else and I never found out...until this year, thanks to the internet and Youtube!

Bridget's rich tones...

Hunter Muskett's...

...And coming up to modern times by comparison, Peter Gabriel's evocative Solsbury Hill (1977). In this more recent rendition, Pete 'gets on his bike' (it's fun, but I probably prefer the original recording for drama! :-)...
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/6/2012, 12:09 pm

Lets make up be friends and have a dance Dorset
https://youtu.be/HwHyuraau4Q

I don't think our American friends will understand the Irish accent
Back to top Go down
Anne

Anne

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/6/2012, 3:52 pm

:-) Thank you, CMH! Very danceable and seasonal. santa

...And we could have a completely unseasonal singalong...

My version goes thus...
O the summer’s in its prime
And the hills are sweetly blooming,
And the wild mountain thyme
All the valley is perfuming…
Will you go, laddie, go?

Refrain:
And we’ll all go together
To pull wild mountain thyme,
All around the purple heather…
Will you go, laddie, go?

…Where the crystal waters flow
And the golden gorse is glowing,
And the heath and harebell grow,
And the fragrant thyme is blowing…
Will you go, laddie, go?

I will build my love a bower
By yon living crystal fountain,
And all around will flower
All the glories of the mountain…
Will you go, laddie, go?

I may have ruined Stan's thread... redface

(PS I see you have taken to cussing by proxy! ;-)
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/6/2012, 4:28 pm

Love the Irish tunes here is an unusual one with van morrison and nice guitar
https://youtu.be/oqPhJb4O8RE
Back to top Go down
Anne

Anne

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/6/2012, 4:53 pm

:-) Very nice, CMH. clapping Thank you.

It's nighty-night from me now. Sweet dreams. (-:

Sleep
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/6/2012, 5:10 pm

Now whilst Annes asleep I will show all our overseas cousins what Dorset people are like when they drink tooo muchh ciderrrr

https://youtu.be/2zwwqEm5YhQ
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/6/2012, 8:06 pm

chisanmichaelhughes wrote:

I don't think our American friends will understand the Irish accent

What accent? (Or maybe it's just the time I've spent hanging with my Irish cousins ;-)
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/7/2012, 4:44 pm

Then I am sure you will recognize true Irish dancing
https://youtu.be/_Tu0PAbW75A
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/7/2012, 4:56 pm

Hillarious indeed!!
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/7/2012, 11:24 pm

Anne wrote:

My version goes thus...
O the summer’s in its prime
And the hills are sweetly blooming,
And the wild mountain thyme
All the valley is perfuming…
Will you go, laddie, go?

Refrain:
And we’ll all go together
To pull wild mountain thyme,
All around the purple heather…
Will you go, laddie, go?

Nice recording of Wild Mt Thyme. It's nice and rough around the edges, not one of those glossy studio jobs :-) By the way I'm a big fan of Mary Black and the Black family,who I suppose you also know!
Back to top Go down
Anne

Anne

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/8/2012, 9:59 am

:-) Wild Mountain Thyme has an interesting history. It's so well known, and when I heard it for the first time, in the 1960s (either on a Joanie Baez record or in a folk-club), I assumed that it was all 'traditional' and by 'Anon'; but the lyrics are much inspired by Robert Tannahill's The Braes of Balquhiddur (published posthumously first in 1821, according to Wikipedia), one of the senior McPeakes producing from this inspiration the song now so well known (including tune, I think)...well, I guess that's what 'folk' music is! His version was published in 1957.

...Having maybe bored socks off with that :-) ...Mary Black has a lovely pure voice. I had perhaps heard her only once before your mentioning her, Isan, and did not know of the Black family singers! (-:
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/8/2012, 10:29 am

Anne wrote:

...Having maybe bored socks off with that :-) ...Mary Black has a lovely pure voice. I had perhaps heard her only once before your mentioning her, Isan, and did not know of the Black family singers! (-:

Thanks for the great back story about Wild MT Thyme. Regarding Mary Black and Family, here's a favorite of mine called Colcannon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VGRnE2Y3e0

I understand it's some kind of fried potato concoction, but I haven't had it. Perhaps you can clarify what goes into it? (not that it matters as it's hard to go wrong when you fry potatoes). I've heard it's similar to Bubble and Squeak.
Back to top Go down
Anne

Anne

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/8/2012, 10:52 am

:-) A nice cheerful video (notwithstanding "the more I think about it, sure the nearer I'm to cry";-) ...I think the first two verses (and quite possibly the third, but if he wants to sue, I'm referring to the leprechaun/clúrachán) could be dedicated to Chisan! ;-)

Here's one colcannon recipe from the web...
http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/colcannon.htm
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/8/2012, 6:33 pm

Hi Mike,

I`ve been very pushed for time so, I couldn`t reply to your posts sooner.
I do indeed remember the Country Joe & The Fish band but was not really that fond
of their music. I much prefered The Doors, Airplane etc and most artists that were
recorded on the Elektra label at that time.
It niggled me why you linked me with Country Joe somewhat and memories came
back to me overnight and elucidated.

In the time of the vietnam war, I was helping run my father`s business. Times were
good and I had a nice penthouse flat in Nottingham where I could get away from the
old folks.
One day, I picked up two hitch hikers. One American and one Canadian. They had done
a stint in vietnam and were not going back for more ! They were deserters.
I took them back to my place, let them stay as long as they wanted and helped out with
money for their living expenses. They were really nice guys.
We would talk about everything into the night. Eventually got round to eastern religion
and philosophies....all new to me. I was a real `straight` and the buggers enjoyed
`Turning me on` ! I absolutelly took to it like a duck to water. They told me what records
to buy and clued me into where to buy the `old herbal` in my town !
All good things come to an end and I was really sorry to see them go. The Canadian left
me a little hippie poster of the Buddhist Eightfold path. I remember being struck by a
passage on it saying it is the ancient way to liberation and it will save all seekers even now.
It really went to my heart and I immediatelly knew that I will seek liberation whatever the
cost. People, priests only spoke of God. it was obvious that they never truly sought him.
I had nothing to lose !
I now look back and feel a deep gratitude to those guys. They got me started and they
knew it. I wonder how they are.
So really, I dont care for Country Joe but this has been a real surprise to me. Brought back
the connection. Thanks for that Mike.

p.s Did you notice that nice Mokuan calling us gentlemen ? We`ve attained to polite
society !
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/8/2012, 6:51 pm

Mike,

Back again to your next post........

"The year was 1970 I had met JK and was driving around Scotland with amazing rainbows ,lochs, and bagpipes,sort of looking foe a retreat place,when I came across someone I knew,in a tiny tiny village which had a farmhouse and 3 cottages,it was very beautiful.
I remember a girl in a purple dress beads and a bell,then some one else with long hair,and we were invited into a cottage there there were more long hairs,musical instruments,incense the lot! it was the home of some musicians and this was one of their songs

https://youtu.be/jXtKESEZQLg"

Yes, That was `The Incredible String Band` of course. Much fabled folk ? band and held in
almost Mystical esteem in those times. How strange that you should come across them in
a tiny Scottish hamlet.
They also sojourned in a hidden away Welsh farm house next to the ancient prehistoric
monument at penwern. Title of one of their songs I believe. In a nearby area lies the now
overgrown quarry where it is believed the giant stones of Stonehenge were carved.
Pembrokeshire has a wonderful and wild atmosphere...very beautiful. Many miles of
giant cliffs along the sea shore. You would feel right at home there I suspect.

Oddly enough, that farmhouse where the String Band stayed is now the little temple run
by my sister....Great Ocean Dharma Refuge.

Wheels within wheels.
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/8/2012, 7:13 pm

Hi Anne :-)

AS you liked the singing of Bridget St John, I wondered if you would like this song.
It`s by Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention. It`s such a pity that she died so young. Beautiful voice.
She always made me think of her as an English version of Joni Mitchell.
You might be familiar with it.
Catch you later. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8&playnext=1&list=PL2AA2EFDB8D8BCFF0&feature=results_video
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/9/2012, 4:30 am

Thank you Anne..

English names for the household sprite known in Irish as clúracán, clúrachán, clutharachán. The cluricaune is one of three kinds of solitary fairy in Ireland, the other two being the leprechaun and the far darrig. He appears to be an Irish instance of the figure from European folklore known as the buttery
spirit (folk motif: F473.6.3). Although Dinneen's Dictionary (Dublin,
1927) defines the term only as ‘dwarfish sprite’, the cluricaune has
been the subject of much commentary, the focus of which has been to
distinguish it from the better-known leprechaun.
The cluricaune is usually a withered little man, like the leprechaun,
but he may have more of a pink tinge to his nose. As a solitary fairy,
he is more likely to be dressed in red than in green. He shows no desire
to do work of any kind and is dressed like a weekend gentleman with
silver buckles on his shoes, gold lace on his cap, and blue silk
stockings below his breeches. Like the leprechaun, he may know where
gold is hidden, but he may carry in addition the spré na scillenagh
[shilling fortune] or sparán na scillinge [purse of shillings], a purse
flowing with silver. The cluricaune likes to enter a rich man's
wine-cellar and drain the casks, but he will frighten away any servant
who tries to join him. Although he prefers to stay indoors, he will,
when venturing out, harness a sheep or shepherd's dog and ride it for
his amusement, leaving them panting and mud-covered. Classed as a
solitary fair
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/9/2012, 6:12 am

Stan I think the band had moved there from the black mountains if I recall, Mike Heron is Scottish, which may be why hey moved back there, I know no more, Robin plays in Cornwall from time to time.
My musical memories are a bit scarce really,they tend to be associated with an event or someone, saying something,I like this ,Listen to this ,I played in that,or a pleasant time.,I think music can be so influencial,and can convey beautiful lyrics, which touch people.
a few years ago a young girl who lives just up the road had just left a band as the singer,i remember telling her I thought she had a great singing voice and should join a band,she said she was about to do something very soon she had a lucky break and ended up 2 in the charts..song Ok local solidarity and memory good

https://youtu.be/8wo4SrxHDpk

i think that is how it is for a lot of us a connection,where was I when I heard that,the sixties seemed to have an abundance of great music,but maybe every generation say the same
Back to top Go down
Anne

Anne

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/9/2012, 6:24 am

:-) Thank you, Stan. She wrote the song as well as sang it, as you may know.

My pa bought me an early solo album by Sandy Denny (It's Sandy Denny) in the 1960s, made before she joined Fairport Convention; I also like some of her recordings with that group, such as Who Knows Where the Time Goes? (-:

:-) Hi Chisan! Re clúrachán, I didn't do my homework...obviously you could sue for libel on my duck-out clause too, not to mention protest against poor judgement of character and general insult! I will just stick with dedicating the first two verses of Colcannon to you, and distance myself unequivocally from further inuendo! (-:
Back to top Go down
Carol

Carol

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/10/2012, 1:58 am

I loved County Joe and the Vietnam song. What ever happened to our youth? My 9 year old granddaughter doesn't even remember "recent" events like the 9/11 attack because she wasn't born yet, much less the protests against the Vietnam war.
Back to top Go down
Carol

Carol

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/10/2012, 2:02 am

One other thought -- it amazes me that those of you in the UK and those of us in the US share so much culturally from the 1960s. (Notice I'm not commenting on whatever Stand and Michael were smoking/imbibing back in the day.} I knew that we were "cousins," but didn't know you liked Country Joe and the Fish! To say nothing of Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones, who -- at the age of close to 70 -- are right now doing a concert in New Jersey. Thank you, Brits, for sending us Mick Jagger!
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/10/2012, 2:56 am

Carol There is only one Mick Jagger I think Charlie Watts is 74 we can see the new York gig live soon at 2am!
We had alot of American bands come over here in the 60's,there were 2 main clubs the Middle Earth at the Round House in Chalk Farm and the UFO club central London. i used to go a lot to the Middle Earth and I think everyone's favorite was canned heat . At the UFO the favorite was a young Pink Floyd,I can not remember the time line but i bumped into them in Denmark Street sitting on the back of their van playing guitar whilst waiting to to record or see a manager about recording.I remember I was surprised as they played really good guitar,within months they were the darlings of the underworld.The other place I used to go to was the Arts Lab near Covent garden I think, which was a really cool place for the arty hippies,we went through the night with film shows talking about not sure what and eating flapjacks that the tiny cafe served up,musicians would drop in We were young wanted a different colorful life.London was full of these mini happenings.I lived through it ,we moved on to spiritual things and idealism. One of my friends was a German guy called Hannibal he had the longest hair I had ever seen,when we parted company he was heading to katmandu. I somehow always think he is still there and still want to visit myself to see if he is still there! he had no money and I remember playing guitar on the street to get money so we could eat! In those days well know musicians would frequent the places I mentioned very often they would pass a guitar around we would have a go play something learn something play a song we had written.I am still in touch with one of my friends who would sit on hampstead heath with Eric Clapton and pass the guitar around .My friend learnt to play good, I still remember a song he wrote called Tanya my friend became a well known writer of music and bands. Yes there we were happy and young very influenced by art and music,I think music seemed to make the miles between over there and over here paper thin. My favorite story is one of my sitting friends who jammed with an American musician, and after wards the guy asked him to form a band with him,after a little thought my friend turned it down as he was in a band, of course he turned down Jimi Hendricks, but that was what that scene was like!!
We did get all the American music and I liked it it influenced my life.
Back to top Go down
Carol

Carol

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/15/2012, 1:40 am

I loved reading Keith Richards' recent biography. He talks about how he and Mick Jagger would spend days and nights listening to American rhythm and blues and trying to figure out the sound. The Rolling Stones still have that funky sound to their music. I love that they are all 70 or close to it. There is something spiritual about knowing you can grow old and still be cool! I would love to have seen the music world
you grew up in. We read about London and saw it in movies like BlowUp and of course knew your bands. The lead guy from Pink FLoyd was at the 12/12/12/ concert as was Eric Clapton and Townsend of the Who -- all Brits, I think. Mick Jagger said the concert was the biggest assemblage of old British rockers, and he meant "old" as in "old." It is great. Thanks for your post. You must have had a lively time back in those days.
Back to top Go down
breljo

breljo

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/15/2012, 3:14 am

Yep, even rockers get old. Talking about Rythm and Blues, PBS just aired a special on Muddy Waters and the Stones at the Checkerboard in Chicago, 1981, already more than thirty years ago. You could see Mick Jagger soaking up that sound.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/15/2012, 4:55 am

We all seem to like the Stones!
Some of the early influences should not be forgotten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDsQSOf6_ow
Wizz Jones could play the guitar very well then
this is him recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_P4wWFnLE

His style of playing influence a lot of young people,Eric Clapton used to cycle over to him for guitar lessons. these beatnik folk singers are still around and their finger picking style and playing with natural ability and musical knowledge helped a lot of people play..I was a beatnik not as early as 1960 i think at the age of 15 I played in Les Cousins which was the main folk club in Greek Street Soho London. I have to say I sneaked on to play it was a kindergarden for guitar players Bob Dylan played there,as did so many other musicians as did sandy Denny mentioned above. When Eric Clapton learnt to play he played with maximum gain(distortion) through his marshall amp that we became excited,it was like we will play music but it will be loud,distorted fast and exciting,that was it.. we wanted it. Keith Richard was incredible for writing simple riffs that got you. Easy to play, easy to copy,but he wrote them.he would sometimes tune his guitar to an open chord shape,and very often play with 5,or 4 string,with distorted amp his riffs leapt at us. Now down here in Cornwall we have a new music degree course, and all the kids learn to play like Hendricks and Clapton and other influential players .
The beatniks must not be forgotten,With long hair and a sleeping bag I traveled France playing for money to live on,it was a great time,very innocent in many ways,the new spirituality was just starting,I met a beautiful beatnik girl (now that is a surprise) who seemed so liberated,she had thrown her conventions away,and she showed me that one did not have to be rigid inside,one did not have to be anything in particular,I think most of the other things she taught me come under the banned section so I won't go there.
After this I returned to the UK at some point met up with Stan here and we swopped the music scene for the new spirituality that was opening up
However I will end the post with a favorite story of how a young and sensible Mark Daiji was sent into a room to straighten out a young lad who wanted to play his guitar and have fun, Mark told him to grow up and get a job. Always good with the advice is Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=muMcWMKPEWQ
Back to top Go down
Anne

Anne

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/15/2012, 10:27 am

:-) Here's a number from Mississippi John Hurt, for whom Wizz recorded a tribute song. MJH's picking style always make me smile.

A certain group took their name from this song... (Hope the advertising's OK!) (-:

Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/15/2012, 10:43 am

Very nice Anne, how influential was bending that note then,

There is a big folk festival near you each year Anne do you go to it?
Back to top Go down
Carol

Carol

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/15/2012, 7:00 pm

Michael, thank you for your reminiscences and the links to Wizz Jones and David Bowie. The Beatniks, who seemed so wicked at the time, so out there, now seem kind of innocent! Same with David Bowie. Almost sweet in his youth. The young lad who wanted to play his guitar -- so chastised by Mark -- seems to still be there. We all carry our youth with us. It's a good thing, too. Maybe that's why the aging Rolling Stones are so appealing. We all see our youth up there with Jagger jumping around and Richards still leaping at us, as you say. Thanks again for helping me remember all of this!
Back to top Go down
Anne

Anne

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/16/2012, 6:19 am

:-) I'm a-guessin you mean the Wimborne Folk Festival...I've been just the once since moving here in 2005, but ponder about it annually. For financial reasons, last summer's festival was expected to be the last (after 32 years), but it looks set to go ahead with different organisers as the Wimborne Minster Folk Festival from 7th to 9th June 2013. I have ordered my supporting wristband! (-:
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/16/2012, 12:18 pm

yes Anne I did mean the Wimborne Folk Festival. I know a couple of people that go and love it.

I wonder with your interest in folk and folk blues you had ever come across a friend of mine Al Jones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jones

He was a great guitar player ,I played with him a few times
Back to top Go down
Anne

Anne

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/17/2012, 9:29 am

:-) I've just listened to Al on YouTube...he was a fine guitarist but I had not heard of him before. I am actually not very savvy about who is/was who in any music scene. My corporeal field-trips into the folknik world have been quite limited...the most was between 1965 and 1969 (or was it 1695 and 1699?), when I attended a folkclub in Bromley, Kent, weekly. (-:
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty12/17/2012, 11:40 am

Anne

Thanks for listening to Al,he died very suddenly a few years ago,he was a lovely guy and great musician,I played lead guitar live on a few songs and he would not stop himself, I had to fight my way in,play 16 bars and he would be back in fast as ever . Afterwards he said you dont play very long solos do you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.   CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand  JACKSON BROWNE. Empty

Back to top Go down

CROSBY, STILLS, NASH Aaaaaaand JACKSON BROWNE.
Page 1 of 1