OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks Empty
PostSubject: Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks   Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks Empty11/19/2012, 3:32 am

I wanted to post this here, because I think it's important for people to see positive experiences as well.

I can't tell you how many times, I've had something really intense come up in training, and the Monks at Shasta have been there for me.

Specifically, at 3 o clock in the morning, when I called on the emergency line, because I was having a spiritual crisis.

Not only were the monks, (and there have been at least a half a dozen who have done this on multiple occasions) very kind, and understanding, but they were also downright helpful, and offered practical advice from their own experience.

To them, I would say, thank you.

It really helped.

I don't know any other Zen Center you can call at 2 in the morning when you are having a spiritual crisis, or other life emergency, and they will offer themselves out of bed to talk with you and do so.

They're like a spiritual volunteer fire department.

It's quite wonderful.

I can't express enough gratitude for the patience and kindness people have shown me, often at the most inconvenient hours and times for them.

No doubt there has been many a time when a monk did not get enough sleep because of me, and they hauled themselves off to some big ceremony the next day because they stayed up half the night helping me through a crisis.

Not only do I tend to have a lot of spiritual activity at night, but also my spouse and I were hit very hard by the Economy, and they were there for me, and us in any way that they could be.

I am so very grateful to them.

Thank you

In Gassho,

Sara H
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks   Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks Empty11/19/2012, 1:23 pm

Sara wrote:
I wanted to post this here, because I think it's important for people to see positive experiences as well.

I can't tell you how many times, I've had something really intense come up in training, and the Monks at Shasta have been there for me.

I am so very grateful to them.

Sara H

Hello Sara, and welcome to the Forum. Your posts illustrate how subjective experience is. Clearly you have had many positive experiences in relation to NCBP and monks at Shasta, and understandably you're grateful for them. That doesn't stand against the negative stories written here. The challenge for all of us is to look beyond our individual experience and try to assess the big picture more objectively. You wrote in another thread:

No, the OBC is not a cult.

They've shown nothing but transparency, and a willingness to be open and talk with people who've had issues.

They have taken openness and complaints very seriously, including bringing in the Faith Trust organization to do an independent analysis of them, and make recommendations, as well implement the recommendations that were made.

They have also created a dual Laity/Monastic Ethics committee that anybody can bring ethics concerns to, that is easily accessed with a clear link on their website, including contact info of the person's involved.

Rev. Haryo, is available by phone, for anyone who wants to call, and he is the Head of the Order.

To me transparency means a willingness to openly acknowledge mistakes and failures. Shasta Abbey was not willing to publish the actual report that FTI gave them after the assessment. They only offered a summary and we have no way of knowing how representative of the report it is - this doesn't qualify as "transparent". Regarding the ethics committee and Rev Haryo being available by phone, when I feel I've made a mistake I see it as my responsibility to take the initiative and reach out to people. I don't put the onus on people by offering them my phone number or directing them to a committee. If the OBC leadership felt responsible for the organization's past failings they would reach out and actively engage with all the former members. They will not though because they don't feel responsible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks   Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks Empty11/20/2012, 11:24 am

Isan, you're posting a reply that's off topic to this thread.

The quote you posted and the reply would be more appropriate to the thread in which it was posted.

thank you.

In Gassho,

Sara H
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks   Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks Empty11/20/2012, 11:29 am

Sara wrote:
Isan, you're posting a reply that's off topic to this thread.

The quote you posted and the reply would be more appropriate to the thread in which it was posted.

Not a problem. Would you be willing to reply to my comment in the "Is the OBC a Cult" thread?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks   Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks Empty11/20/2012, 11:45 am

I didn't see a comment addressed to me by you in that thread.

Perhaps you might want to PM so we don't hijack this thread?

In Gassho,

Sara H
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks   Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks Empty11/20/2012, 11:48 am

Sara wrote:
I didn't see a comment addressed to me by you in that thread.

That's correct, but I was referring more generally to the topic. You replied to Lise about the FTI report and I'll take that as my answer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks   Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks Empty11/20/2012, 1:14 pm

I'm going to respond part of your post here in a more appropriate thread.

In Gassho,

Sara H
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks   Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks Empty

Back to top Go down

Expression of Grattitude for the Shasta Monks
Page 1 of 1