OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A few positive things

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jack

A few positive things Empty
PostSubject: A few positive things   A few positive things Empty8/10/2010, 10:58 am

I am not now associated with OBC and will likely not be again in any formal way. However, given what I've posted elsewhere on this forum, I would leave an unfairly distorted picture of the OBC to not mention some strongly positive things about the OBC as experienced through what I read, observed and was taught.

1). The OBC emphasis on the Buddhist precepts was exemplary.That emphasis is good fundamental Buddhist teaching that I've not encountered as consistently elsewhere.

2). The particular monks who were my teachers mostly made a very conscientious effort to live their lives within the vows they had made. I found that persuasive, commendable, and instructive given what I've observed directly and indirectly among other clergy. The monks who taught me were diligent and did take their training seriously.

3). The OBC monks I experienced taught a reasonably broad and well founded set of basic Buddhist teaching. I've now read widely enough among different traditions to see that this is so. It's been helpful to find that these basic building blocks were reliable. I think I have to give credit to Jiyu Kennett and her disciples for teaching these fundamentals.

4). The monks who taught me did teach me that my own mind/heart/experience was ultimately trustworthy. Though I think they were unhappy and dismayed when I trusted it and dissociated myself with the OBC, I give them credit for teaching it. I don't know if the OBC at large teaches this, because it runs a bit counter to the faith/devotion strain that seems to be part of the OBC culture.

5). The OBC/monks did teach that I was ultimately responsible for my choices, and that this responsibility could not be given away. That has proved to be helpful teaching, even though it made me less willing to follow their advice when I could not see its wisdom.

6). The OBC/monks were in general patient in their teaching, though I am not good faith/devotion material. Patience with myself, my training, and others is still not a totally reliable attribute of my practice. At one point in my training their patience and some wise counsel and flexibility were pivotal in my decision to continue Buddhist training. I'm glad that was there when I needed it.

I remain grateful for all those in the OBC who taught me useful things directly and indirectly. I have no qualms or uncertainty about that gratitude.
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: A few positive things   A few positive things Empty8/18/2010, 7:12 pm

jack wrote:
. . . 4). The monks who taught me did teach me that my own mind/heart/experience was ultimately trustworthy. . . .

I remain grateful for all those in the OBC who taught me useful things directly and indirectly. I have no qualms or uncertainty about that gratitude.

Very true for me too.

Every time I get revved up to try and start a thread about "what do you trust now?", all I can think to write is "I trust myself." The OBC exposure undoubtedly helped me get there and I will always appreciate that.

Last edited by Lise on 8/18/2010, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Mia

PostSubject: Re: A few positive things   A few positive things Empty9/15/2010, 7:50 am

The two things that drew me to the OBC on the first introductory weekend have remained true through my years of lay practice there.

• Not doing anything to compel me to stay, follow, or believe
  • Never asking for anything in return

I could probably add a thousand positive things but those that stand out most right now are

• Sincere commitment to and generosity in giving Dharma
  • Open acknowledgment of the efficacy of other practices
  • Acknowledgment that as monastics their worldly experience is limited, and that it's up to me to find my way to practice in the world
  • Willingness to listen and to change

There is deep wisdom there, and much caring and humour.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few positive things   A few positive things Empty

Back to top Go down

A few positive things
Page 1 of 1