OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Howdy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AuntyEntity

AuntyEntity

Howdy Empty
PostSubject: Howdy   Howdy Empty10/9/2011, 12:30 am

Just a few words by way of introduction: I found this forum whilst searching for information in regards to the Eko Little scandal. The postings here have largely been needfully educating on other, deeper levels as well. The candor, thoughtfulness, and rigour displayed by most posters here are delightfully balanced by an attempt to ground criticism in kindness and compassion. This is a difficult balance, especially regarding difficult issues as sensitive as spiritual abuse. I've been touched to find this little community-as-counterpoint; I wish you all the best as you find your way to constructive dialog with and reform in the OBC.

I have no direct contact with OBC nor Shasta Abbey, nor am likely to. I'm not even a Buddhist, but a lower-level, shabby Daoist priestess in a lesser-known Taiwanese lineage. But as a case study of early cross-cultural difficulties and pitfalls, the lessons many posters here have learnt will probably help many such unexpected posterity. I'm deeply grateful for the stories I've read here, the heartfelt and sometimes painful reminiscences are helping me with my own struggles and questions. Thanks all! sunny
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Howdy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Howdy Empty10/9/2011, 1:47 am

Nice to see you here Aunty,My other Daoists Aunts spend alot of time before their practice starts, making cakes for weary travelers, and repairing worn out robes, for monks that have sat in the wrong place. I have personally eaten many cakes and had many patches.

In fact the last Aunt that phoned me up for a chat, told me that after many years of making cakes for other travelers, she realised her practice had actuslly started when she made her first cake,and that there was nowhere to go and nothing to do, she had never been separate from what she sought. She is now carving a Daoist traditional stick from Tai Chung to remind me of all the mountains I have climbed to look for treasure that was not buried there
Back to top Go down
AuntyEntity

AuntyEntity

Howdy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Howdy Empty10/9/2011, 2:15 am

Thank you for the welcome, Mr. Hughes!

You're so blessed to be loved by such an aunty... I'm sure you have lots of unburied treasure in your head and heart, and she can see it! Your posts here have been wonderful to read; thanks for your openness.

I'm with you much about temple aunties. One of the most wonderful Daoist teachers I've known was an old granny such as yours, in an obscure temple I don't have opportunity to visit much anymore. She didn't make cakes, but taught a young me how to make lotuses out of joss paper... All day, as the sun shown, quietly except for an occasional muttered incantation or holy name. "Self-thus/natural" indeed!

You remind of what Most High Lord Lao did say, "雖名得道,實無所得。為化眾生,名為得道。" (Although it's called Attaining Dao, actually there's no such attainment. It's the transformation of beings, which is called Attaining the Dao.) Wherever you wander with your stick, I hope it's on mountains which bring you transformation. :>
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Howdy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Howdy Empty10/9/2011, 2:21 am

Nice to meet you here, thanks for your kind words, please take care of your health
Back to top Go down
AuntyEntity

AuntyEntity

Howdy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Howdy Empty10/9/2011, 5:10 pm

Thank you!
祝無量壽。
敬頌道祺!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Howdy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Howdy Empty