OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When will we know?

Go down 
+2
jack
sugin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sugin

sugin

When will we know? Empty
PostSubject: When will we know?   When will we know? Empty7/10/2010, 6:36 pm

"One thing I have learned in a long life," said Einstein, "[is] that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have." Science, like religion, must work with simple concepts the human mind can comprehend. But if biocentrism is right, nature has much bigger plans for us than just this or that life -- plans far beyond anything religion has ever projected to any god. And perhaps, if science is clever enough to see, it will realize that religion may not be too far off with its concrete imagery; and that relative to the supreme creator, we humans are much like the microorganisms we scrutinize under the microscope.
Back to top Go down
jack

When will we know? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When will we know?   When will we know? Empty7/11/2010, 2:27 pm

Do you have a ready reference for the source of that quote? I like it, and might like to use it sometime.

I've become a bit reluctant to use "Einstein" quotes without sources I can pin down, more than a few quotes I've liked which were attributed to him have turned out to be things he did not actually write or say. Someone once said, that it's always a safe bet to quote Einstein, since no one wants to be caught disagreeing with him.

Don't expend a lot of energy trying to pin down a source. It's not that important. It's an interesting thought in its own right, with or without the Einstein stamp.
Back to top Go down
sugin

sugin

When will we know? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When will we know?   When will we know? Empty7/11/2010, 8:17 pm

I like it also, Jack. Although, I am not sure I understand it but then I am no Einstein. The first part of the paragraph is by Einstein the rest is from Robert Lanza who is a scientist, theorist and had an article in the July 8 Huffington Post titled "Is there a God or is there Nothingness" .

Back to top Go down
sugin

sugin

When will we know? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When will we know?   When will we know? Empty8/28/2011, 4:02 am

I am going back to the Abbey.
Back to top Go down
Anne

Anne

When will we know? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When will we know?   When will we know? Empty8/28/2011, 4:54 am

:-) It's been nice to see you here again, Sugin.

Are/will you be "Reverend Sugin" when you get there, or are you planning a stay in mufti?

Wishing you all the best sunny (-:
Back to top Go down
Howard

Howard

When will we know? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When will we know?   When will we know? Empty8/28/2011, 1:26 pm

Sugin

Thanks for giving voice here of your intent.
I hope someday you will get the opportunity to return here to speak of the differences you find of today's Abbey over the one you left.
Good travels.

H

Last edited by Howard on 8/28/2011, 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://hrmitchell54@yahoo.com
ddolmar

ddolmar

When will we know? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When will we know?   When will we know? Empty8/28/2011, 2:37 pm

Hope to see you there one day, Sugin!

Best,
Dan
Back to top Go down
mokuan

When will we know? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When will we know?   When will we know? Empty8/28/2011, 4:02 pm

Dear Sugin,

My best wishes to you. There's something inherently wonderful about being in a community. I'm sure the atmosphere has changed greatly in the last year and the Abbey will be a kinder, easier place to be. And you, in turn, will bring your kindness and compassion to them with your willingness to still believe in the community and their teaching.

All the best,

mokuan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

When will we know? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When will we know?   When will we know? Empty

Back to top Go down

When will we know?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OBC Connect :: OBC Connect :: Here and now-
Jump to: