OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Freedom of Speech

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Freedom of Speech Empty
PostSubject: Freedom of Speech   Freedom of Speech Empty12/10/2010, 7:29 am

I heard today that Wikileaks reported that the Burmese government, at one point thought about buying Manchester United football club. For our American friends this is the only football team worth any mention in the USA .Basically Manchester is the home of good football.Real football,( without strange body armour)
I find the story a bit amusing but I have to tell you that Than Shwe or general Shwe,was once my best friend at school (Than Shwe is the military dictator of Burma) He actually introduced me to Buddhism, and showed me photos of him as a young monk for a day. I was quite moved by what he explained to me.
Years later I hear he has taken over his country imprisoned the lovely Aung San Suu Kyi and banned freedom of speech and is not seen as a friend of his own country.
Years ago I was visiting a friend who ran an anarcist magazine, a great guy, and friend also of Daiji. our friend told me any one could write anything at all,in his paper and he promtly wrote an article called necromancy at Shasta Abbey.He was a great friend , and quite often on the run from the authorities.
The point I think this is a great forum I did get one minor rude word banned ,but we are free to express ourselves, in the serious matters at shasta which we are concerned about
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

Freedom of Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freedom of Speech   Freedom of Speech Empty12/10/2010, 9:30 am

It is hard to imagine what might have happened with Than Shwe. Sad. May the Burmese people not lose their hope. I think they got to see Aung San Suu Kyi recently, wasn't she allowed to actually step outside her door for a moment and see people? I wonder if there is anything of substance behind it --

Wikileaks is amazing. I haven't made up my mind as to the overall morality of what Assange is up to, but I like seeing the heads of govt. scrambling around in recovery mode. So much is hidden from the rest of us, we're misled, they do trades and deals amongst themselves that we would find outrageous . . . a little exposure to the light of day might be a good thing. I do like Assange's display of sheer nerve. If the U.S. had known about him soon enough, I think he wouldn't be on the planet anymore and we might never have learned his name.

I'm glad you like the forum, Chisan. The thing about banning rude words is just a quirk of my own (and Watson's, we come from the same rootstock), maybe a little outdated in these times. I have left forums where the language was so bad, it was just too much to wade through, and I wanted to keep this place free of that. I'm glad you feel there is scope for expression Smile
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Freedom of Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freedom of Speech   Freedom of Speech Empty12/10/2010, 9:59 am

Aung San Suu Kyi was released a couple of weeks ago from house arrest. She appears to be able to speak, we are not allowed reorters there , there are though,but it is not too easy to know what is happening.
Assange is locked up in Wormwood Scrubs prison I believe, he has been arrested on sex charges. the scrubs is not the place to be , when that is the charge. Apparently he is in solitary. He was arrested for having unprotected sex with two separate women in Sweden, apparently that can be an offence there. There is a little bit more detail, but not the place for it,
Banning the rude words is fine, there has to be lines drawn for us.
I certainly appreciate you making the forum available. I think with what the topics tend to be about having a collective freedom is tremendous, as I feel it was denied before.
Back to top Go down
mokuan

Freedom of Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freedom of Speech   Freedom of Speech Empty12/10/2010, 1:28 pm

Dear Chisan Michael,

it seems you've had some remarkable experiences and known some amazing people in your time. I think you should write an autobiography. I would be first in line at the bookstore to buy a copy. Until then, I will just enjoy you here on the forum.

Affectionately,
mokuan
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Freedom of Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freedom of Speech   Freedom of Speech Empty12/10/2010, 3:54 pm

Thank you so much Mokuan
between you and me you could send over an advance of 50$ however having already severley embarresed Josh with him having to write out my address and knowing that Lise would censor it, your money is still safe as you would not know where to send the much needed dosh!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Freedom of Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Freedom of Speech   Freedom of Speech Empty

Back to top Go down

Freedom of Speech
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OBC Connect :: OBC Connect :: OBC Experiences-
Jump to: