OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is the OBC like today

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tako

What is the OBC like today  Empty
PostSubject: What is the OBC like today    What is the OBC like today  Empty8/13/2022, 1:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how best to phrase this post. If anything I say is in any way insensitive, it was not meant to be so.

I've studied Buddhism for many years but it took me a long time to find my fit, which in the last 3 years I have found within Soto Zen.

Living in the UK, I looked for a retreat and came across Throssel Hole Abbey. I went for a retreat and had a very positive experience. The monks were warm and the space was nice. The service had a bit of a more Protestant feel to it but nothing too alarming. 

As I looked more into the OBC itself, I heard something very different from my experiences. Jiyu Kennett could be tyrannical, and a successor at Shasta was known to be committing sexual abuse for years before anything was done. The FTI report was commissioned and mostly ignored.

What I have read about this is mostly on posts from many years ago. I suppose my question is what is the OBC like now? 

Following my positive experience, I was considering further involvement. I don't know if the OBC is any better, or if any of the toxicity from Shasta has ever been present at Throssel.

Any responses would be much appreciated.

In Gassho,
Tako

Kozan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: What is the OBC like today    What is the OBC like today  Empty8/13/2022, 3:04 pm

Good question Tako; and welcome to OBC Connect!

I would say that the OBC, in the US, the UK, and probably everywhere else it has Sangha members, has gone through some self-assessment, healing, and beneficial transformation. I would also say that this should be the ongoing practice and process for all Buddhists and Buddhism itself.

I would recommend taking a look at the "Fifty years" topic post on the "OBC Experiences" topic thread. (It is the third post down from this one.)

Although I am not currently active as a member of any OBC group; I remain a Soto Zen Priest and authorized teacher, and am in friendly contact with many current and former members of the OBC Sangha.

Tako likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tako

PostSubject: Re: What is the OBC like today    What is the OBC like today  Empty8/14/2022, 5:28 am

Hi Kozan,

I really appreciate your reply.

I suppose my fear was having a good experience at Throssel, only to find myself involved with a wider organisation that was not a fit further down the line.

All the best for the future.

Tako.

Kozan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the OBC like today    What is the OBC like today  Empty

Back to top Go down

What is the OBC like today
Page 1 of 1