OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Governance of a Non-Profit Corporation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
H Enida

Governance of a Non-Profit Corporation Empty
PostSubject: Governance of a Non-Profit Corporation   Governance of a Non-Profit Corporation Empty4/19/2015, 11:11 am

Here is the Olive Branch recent newletter.  I am particularly interested in the development of governance models in zen organizations.  Do these protections take something away from fundamental teachings, i.e. the way the master-disciple relationship works?  Can it evolve so that protections are in place but true monastic training can still function?  The Abbey was/is set up such that the spiritual leader is also the corporate head, without an independent board.  This type of setup is ripe for abuse imho...

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=d83715c0-23dc-4f17-a463-4aea6d1d06e1&c=6ade5fe0-3485-11e3-a596-d4ae5275b3f6&ch=6bfa5730-3485-11e3-a626-d4ae5275b3f6
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

Governance of a Non-Profit Corporation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Governance of a Non-Profit Corporation   Governance of a Non-Profit Corporation Empty4/20/2015, 10:24 am

H Enida wrote:
Here is the Olive Branch recent newsletter.  I am particularly interested in the development of governance models in zen organizations.  Do these protections take something away from fundamental teachings, i.e. the way the master-disciple relationship works?  Can it evolve so that protections are in place but true monastic training can still function?  The Abbey was/is set up such that the spiritual leader is also the corporate head, without an independent board.  This type of setup is ripe for abuse imho...

It's a good question Enida.  I believe people will just have to try a more equitable model like the one outlined in the Olive Branch newsletter and see how well it works over time.  The issue is not just trying to minimize abuse but evaluating and defining the goals of the system generally.  What kind of person is the system trying to produce?  I derived only limited benefit from the rigid, hierarchical structure of the OBC.  Regarding the teacher/student relationship, perhaps in a more equitable system it would be more about mentoring instead of coercion.  The old system doesn't hold some special efficacy IMHO.  Those who wish to practice will.  The time of chasing people around with sticks needs to be over.
Back to top Go down

Governance of a Non-Profit Corporation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OBC Connect :: OBC Connect :: Suggestions for the OBC-
Jump to: