OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died

Go down 
+7
H Enida
chisanmichaelhughes
Howard
Jcbaran
gensho
Isan
Kozan
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty
PostSubject: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/18/2014, 4:28 pm

Terribly saddened. Just saw this:

In Memoriam
Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died 79
Kyogen Carlson
      Our beloved Abbot Kyogen Carlson passed away about 9am this morning (Thursday, September 18) from a massive heart attack. The sangha is in shock, and several are still at the hospital. There will likely be a funeral Sunday afternoon. As we know more, we will let people know.
     All scheduled events for today are cancelled as we hold vigil at Adventist Hospital in the cardiac unit.
     This Sunday, September 21, we will have services at Jason Lee Elementary.
     8:30am Zazen with sanzen
     9:00am Kinhin
     9:40am Full Morning Service
     10:10am Break
     10:30am In Memoriam
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/18/2014, 5:02 pm

Bill, thank you for reporting. This was certainly unexpected, and is very sad indeed. Kyogen will be deeply missed by so many.

Three current senior OBC monks had recently visited Kyogen and Gyokuko in Portland, which was wonderful to see. Even though they were not officially representing the Order, they were making strong personal statements of, essentially, rejecting the Order's rejection of the Carlsons.

Kyogen had been planning to participate in the People's Climate March this coming Sunday in Portland, and was scheduled to give a brief presentation as one of the participating faith leaders.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/18/2014, 5:32 pm

Kozan wrote:
Thanks, Bill, for reporting. This was certainly unexpected, and is very sad indeed. Kyogen will be deeply missed by so many.

Three current senior OBC monks had recently visited Kyogen and Gyokuko in Portland, which was wonderful to see. Even though they were not officially representing the Order, they were making strong personal statements of, essentially, rejecting the Order's rejection of the Carlsons.

Kyogen had been planning to participate in the People's Climate March this coming Sunday in Portland, and was scheduled to give a brief presentation as one of the participating faith leaders.

Thanks for your comment and affirmation, Kozan. I am very glad to hear of this meeting and sign of apparent reconciliation from such an unnecessary and hurtful wound of the past. Kyogen and Gyokuko have been such important religious leaders in the Northwest. I didn't know Kyogen was planning to participate in the Climate March but it is in keeping with his commitment to an engaged Buddhism. His loss will present a tremendous challenge to the Dharma Rain sangha which is now in the midst of a move to new property and new quarters. Dharma Rain has grown amazingly in recent years and has consolidated this growth with a more dynamic and participatory organization. There appears to be a strong core leadership of many persons who can help this effort going forward. Kyogen was still relatively young in my mind, so it's a shocking  and unexpected development.
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/18/2014, 5:53 pm

cmpnwtr wrote:
Terribly saddened. Just saw this:

In Memoriam
      Our beloved Abbot Kyogen Carlson passed away about 9am this morning (Thursday, September 18) from a massive heart attack. The sangha is in shock, and several are still at the hospital. There will likely be a funeral Sunday afternoon. As we know more, we will let people know.

I just read this elsewhere and am really shocked.  I don't know how to express my incredulity.  Kyogen was someone that I took for granted would be around for years to come.  I will miss him.
Back to top Go down
gensho

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/18/2014, 8:12 pm

Time flies as an arrow from a bow
Kyogen no more can I sit within the Hall beside you
So aware of times spent together
Who comes, who goes, where have you gone!

Nine bows 
Jakuan Gensho offers to Huon Kyogen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/18/2014, 9:04 pm

A link to  Sweeping Zen's announcement: http://sweepingzen.com/kyogen-carlson-co-abbot-of-dharma-rain-zen-center-dies-of-heart-attack/
Back to top Go down
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/18/2014, 9:46 pm

Just heard this news.... I am marching in the People's Climate March this Sunday in NYC, and will dedicate the merit / energy / engagement to him and the planet......
Back to top Go down
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/19/2014, 6:52 am

Kyogen Carlson: A Brief Remembering of a Zen Master

September 18, 2014 by James Ford
originally posted on Patheos
Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Kyogen-Carlson

I was shocked to learn that Kyogen Carlson suffered a massive heart attack and died today.

Kyogen was, I wrote “is” at first, and had to correct myself, one of the senior Zen teachers in North America, respected and loved across the continent. And my friend. My history of Zen in the West, “Zen Master Who?” contains the bare outline of his life.

“Gary Alan Carlson was born in Los Angeles on October 8, 1948. His parents met in the Yukon during military service. His father later worked in the moving and storage business. An only child, he was raised in Orange County, in the Christian Science faith. Gary earned his bachelor’s degree at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1971. In many ways, he came of age at one of the epicenters of the social and political upheavals of the period.

“Reading Eugene Herrigel’s “Zen and the Art of Archery” and “The Method of Zen,” he started seriously contemplating the meaning of his life. Following a profound experience of spaciousness – what he later thought of as an “oceanic feeling” – while in a eucalyptus grove above campus, he determined to pursue the inner life. A year after graduation he entered the monastery at Shasta Abbey. He was ordained an unsui on September 26, 1972, receiving the Dharma name Kyogen.

“Kyogen served as jisha, or personal attendant, to Roshi Jiyu Kennett for over nine years. He completed Shuso Hossen in 1974, and received Dharma transmission in the same year. In 1978 after Roshi Kennett introduced Inka as a final certification at Shasta Abbey, Kyogen received Inka and the title Roshi.”

Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Gyokuko-Kyogen-Zendo-490-300x254

In 1982 he married his fellow practitioner Gyokuko Andrea Gass. And the couple were placed in charge of the Portland and Eugene affiliates.

In 1985 Kennett Roshi declared the order would henceforth be celibate and required all priests who were married to either divorce or disrobe. Kyogen and Gyokuko pointed out there was a third option. They went to their boards and explained the situation. The Portland group decided to break from Shasta Abbey, calling the couple as their teachers. The group eventually took the name Dharma Rain Zen Center. And it thrived. They initiated a religious education program for children that has become the standard for Zen communities in the west looking to provide for their children. As a result of their combining a fierce dedication to the heart of practice with a willingness to meet the needs of the people who came to them, the community they led thrived. Today Dharma Rain is one of the largest Zen communities in North America.

Kyogen wrote a first rate book, “Zen in an American Grain.” He has been a singular voice in interfaith dialogue in the Portland area, particularly reaching out to the Evangelical Christian community. At the time of his death, the Dharma Rain Zen Center has embarked on a bold program of expansion, recently breaking ground on a temple complex that includes co-housing together with more traditional Zen Buddhist facilities.

While our styles were quite different, I consider Guyokuko and Kyogen among my closest Dharma family, all of us heirs to the late Houn Jiyu Kennett, genuinely siblings on the great way.
He was a good, generous, and kind man.

A true exemplar of what can happen when one gives a life time to the Zen way.
Kobayashi Issa sang to the world at the death of his child

This dewdrop world
Is a dewdrop world
And yet, and yet

I am bereft.
My heart goes out to Gyokuko and their sangha.
And for all of us…
The world is a bit sadder place for his death.
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/19/2014, 10:11 am

Jcbaran wrote:

While our styles were quite different, I consider Guyokuko and Kyogen among my closest Dharma family, all of us heirs to the late Houn Jiyu Kennett, genuinely siblings on the great way.
He was a good, generous, and kind man.

A true exemplar of what can happen when one gives a life time to the Zen way.

I am bereft.
And for all of us…

Thanks for posting this Josh.  James has written a nice bio that touches on the high points of Kyogen's life as it relates to his practice.  Although Jiyu Kennett cut off Kyogen and Gyokuku after they refused to follow her directive to divorce or return to lay life, they continued to practice in the manner she taught and ironically have come to represent the best of her teaching IMHO.

You will remember the "Monks From Hell" reunion from some years back, when many of the former monks of Shasta Abbey gathered at the Dharma Rain Zen Center to reminisce, commiserate and generally complain about our experiences at the Abbey.  We are the Sangha and keepers of the shared memories from that time; that why I feel there's been a tear in the fabric.  Still, when I reflect on Kyogen I feel peace and affirmation, so how unhappy can I be?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/19/2014, 10:42 am

Isan wrote:
Jcbaran wrote:

I am bereft.
And for all of us…

Although Jiyu Kennett cut off Kyogen and Gyokuku after they refused to follow her directive to divorce or return to lay life, they continued to practice in the manner she taught and ironically have come to represent the best of her teaching IMHO.

Still, when I reflect on Kyogen I feel peace and affirmation, so how unhappy can I be?
Thank you, James and Isan. Worthy tributes to Kyogen.  I am surprised to know that I was born on the same day, same year as Kyogen. And likewise I also believe that Kyogen and Gyokuko carried on the best of Jiyu's teaching and I benefitted from it.  I also feel a sense of peace and affirmation and equally a sense of loss that Kyogen is not among the living, he is a person who truly committed himself, his life, his every effort to the service of other beings. His personal realizations did not stay with him, but were offered generously in service to every being in his life. Compassionate service was the fruit of his Zazen naturally overflowing into everything. Which is as it can and should be.
Back to top Go down
Howard

Howard

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/19/2014, 1:18 pm

To Kyogen

Illuminating far & wide,
who broadened my path
and un teathered my heart.

in Gassho
Howard
Back to top Go down
http://hrmitchell54@yahoo.com
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/19/2014, 4:12 pm

I just read this on facebook,I am shocked
I met Kyogen in 73 my memory is of his smiling face.
I am pleased he chose the path he did which was he right path for him and Gyokuku,and for Gyokuku who i am sure will choose to read the forum take care and take your time, and of course from over the seas Great Love
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/20/2014, 8:46 am

I received this update from DRZC.  They are discouraging folks outside of the local sangha from coming on Sunday, September 21, however a larger public memorial is being planned for November 6th.

In Memoriam

Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died 79
Kyogen Carlson
     Sunday morning will be our normal schedule until the dharma talk, which will be an informal remembrance time. The funeral will be at 2:00 Sunday afternoon, at Omega Funeral Services (223 SE 122nd Ave, near Stark). This is primarily for local Sangha. Kyogen's body will be cremated immediately afterwards. There will be a larger public memorial 49 days after his death, Thursday November 6th, location TBD. That will give people traveling from afar or more loosely connected a chance to come.
Back to top Go down
H Enida

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/20/2014, 5:54 pm

I never met Rev. Kyogen, although I remember the animosity Eko had towards him, an unwavering inability to forgive and mend.  I am not sure, but I thought RM Meian gave an open invitation for him to visit Shasta and RM Jiyu's stupa, but if not, I am sure she would have, given her determination to keep the gates open for anyone who seeks the Way.  I am glad that things had begun to heal - it seemed strange to me that people who say they aspire to "let go of the self and be taught by all things" (paraphrasing Dogen) couldn't see their resentments were binding the self.  

I find it quite auspicious and fitting that Rev. Kyogen's public memorial will be on the date of his late Teacher's death.
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/20/2014, 7:08 pm

Enida, your memory is correct. RM Meian did extend an open invitation to Kyogen and Gyokuko, to visit Shasta Abbey.

In a letter to Kyogen dated February 9, 2012, RM Meian indicated that he and Gyokuko would be welcome to visit, and that she and other seniors would be willing to talk about any issues or concerns. In my reading of the letter she also seemed to make it clear that the Order's position with respect to the Carlsons would not be reconsidered.
Back to top Go down
H Enida

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/20/2014, 7:37 pm

Thank you for the clarification Kozan.

Hard to say what the true reacher will be, but generosity and a magnanimous heart win over lines drawn in my book any day......and the footsteps of the Buddha from Master to disciple wander in unforeseen ways.  Bless Rev. Kyogen for continuing on in the face of adversity and creating a successful place of practice.

My condolences to Dharma Rain and Rev. Gyokuko - may their sangha find strength within and in each other and continue to grow in the Way.

(p.s. I'll have to go visit one day soon when I'm in Portland)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/20/2014, 8:28 pm

The "rapprochement" between Rev. Meian and the Carlsons was in part an outgrowth of this forum I believe. I contacted Rev. Meian through the private mail function and in the course of the exchange asked if some reconciliation could happen whereby the Carlsons would be made welcome at Shasta Abbey because they were clearly informed since the 80s that they weren't and that all members of the OBC, lay and monk were not to have contact with the Carlsons. ( It was my choice to participate in the Dharma Rain Zen Center in 87, and to resign from the lay ministry that led to my shunning.)  Rev. Meian said that she would be open to a dialogue of this nature, and I confirmed with Kyogen that he also would be open to this communication. And so it began. When I checked in with Kyogen some time later, he said that the results were less than satisfactory in terms of any real acceptance by Shasta Abbey leadership of their status as teachers, but they were told they would be welcome to visit at SA, so there was at least was some communication.
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/23/2014, 10:20 am

H Enida wrote:
Thank you for the clarification Kozan.

Hard to say what the true teacher will be, but generosity and a magnanimous heart win over lines drawn in my book any day......and the footsteps of the Buddha from Master to disciple wander in unforeseen ways.  Bless Rev. Kyogen for continuing on in the face of adversity and creating a successful place of practice.

Yes, I feel that the way Kyogen and Gyokuko have continued to practice and teach in the Soto tradition honors Jiyu Kennett and effectively bypasses the problem.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/24/2014, 9:03 am

Nicely put Isan
My respect also to everyone here with a connection with Jiyu or Shasta who has followed the path they felt and feel right for themselves,which may have blended and been shaped by circumstance change,and  certainly an external different setting. The deep moments we have experienced are not ever restricted by time and place.
Back to top Go down
mokuan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/25/2014, 9:48 am

PUBLISHED IN THE OREGONIAN:

Carlson, Kyogen 65 Oct. 08, 1948 Sept. 18, 2014 Our deeply beloved abbot, teacher and friend, Roshi Kyogen Carlson, died unexpectedly Sept. 18, 2014, of a massive heart attack. He was a few weeks short of his 66th birthday. He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Gyokuko Carlson; several cousins; and many, many students and friends. He was preceded in death by his parents; dog, George; and cat, Eppie. Kyogen was born Oct. 8, 1948, in Los Angeles. He was an only child and grew up in a Christian Science family in Fullerton. He attended California State University, Fullerton, and then the University of California, Berkeley, where he took a B.A. in Sociology. He felt a powerful drive to understand the meaning of our human life and this world, and a year after graduation, decided to enter contemplative life. He joined Shasta Abbey, a Soto Zen Buddhist training monastery in Northern California, in 1972. He spent his novice year working in the kitchen and then served for nine years as the jisha, or personal attendant, to his teacher, the Abbess Jiyu Kennett. She transmitted him as a Buddhist priest in 1974. In 1982, after several years of chaste courtship, Kyogen married a fellow priest, Gyokuko Gass, and in October of that year, they moved to Portland to serve as priests at the Oregon Zen Priory. At the time the Priory, a satellite group of Shasta Abbey, had about 25 members. Several years later, the Carlsons separated from Shasta Abbey and created an independent temple called Dharma Rain Zen Center. In 1987, Dharma Rain bought its first of several buildings in the Hawthorne neighborhood, beginning its steady growth; today's active membership is about 200. Kyogen had 50 disciples, both lay people and monks, and transmitted five dharma heirs. In 2012, supported by Kyogen's optimistic vision, Dharma Rain bought 13.5 acres in Northeast Portland and is in the midst of developing this land into a large, integrated Soto Zen temple, training residence and 32-unit cohousing complex where Kyogen and Gyokuko planned to live. He was a happy man. We remember his great kindness, gentle nature and generous heart. We remember his goofy sense of humor and how often he laughed. He could swing at a baseball or race a go-kart with the enthusiasm of a child and then explain a fine point in Dogen's Shobogenzo. He had a scholar's memory of Buddhist scripture and a nerd's love of science. He was inquisitive and loved gadgets of all kinds, and could often be seen fiddling with his smart phone or calling someone over to see something on his computer. Kyogen loved to travel and made several trips to Japan, as well as China, Switzerland, Italy, France and Uganda. He was a runner for years and loved to hike, camp and tend the vegetarian grill at a barbecue. He loved to watch sports, and followed the California Bears, Lakers and Trail Blazers. He loved books; Kyogen and Gyokuko read aloud to each other on long drives and camping trips. He did not like being fussed over; he liked things neat and clean. He could be cranky, especially when the Sunday morning chanting was off-key; he had a great love of music, a beautiful voice and we could lean on his fine tenor to lead the way. Kyogen was a fine amateur photographer. He wrote one book "Zen in the American Grain," many essays and gave countless Dharma talks. A man of ethics and respect, Kyogen was a longtime member of the American Zen Teachers Association, which relied on him for many years for sane and comprehensive minutes, a member and past president of the Soto Zen Buddhist Association and custodian of the Buddhist Chapter of the Foundation for Religious Diplomacy. In the last decade, Kyogen led many dialogues with evangelical Christians and promoted thoughtful interfaith conversations. His last recorded talk, given the day before he died, was a conversation about interfaith diplomacy between Kyogen and Dr. Paul Metzger, professor of Christian theology and theology of culture at Multnomah University. Kyogen and Paul had become close friends. He was humb le about his accomplishments but vain about a few things, including his goatee. He was looking forward to retirement, after many decades of stalwart religious practice and unwavering leadership. Retirement looked like a chance to write another book, long-antici- pated trip to Austria, restful afternoons on the deck and a cold microbrew in front of a football game. We who knew, loved and studied with Kyogen know that he had an uncompromising faith in the transformative process of Zen Buddhist practice, a great trust in the Absolute and believed that true Awakening is available to all of us in time. This is one of his many gifts to us. A funeral was held Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014. A public memorial is planned for Thursday, Nov. 6, 2014. See our website, dharma-rain.org, for details. Donations may be made to Dharma Rain Zen Center, P.O. Box 13325, Portland, OR 97213-0325.

Published in The Oregonian from Sept. 22 to Sept. 24, 2014
-
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/25/2014, 10:57 am

Mokuan, thank you for re-publishing this. This is a wonderful obituary, doubtless written by one of his transmitted disciples, quite likely Jiko, who is an accomplished and published writer. It is an affirmation of Isan's statement above . Kyogen, together with Gyokuko, was able to sift the wheat from the chaff from his Shasta Abbey years and bring forth the teaching of the Dharma and realize it in human community in a healthy and transformative way. An exemplar life of service and tremendous accomplishment for the good in this world, the fruits of zazen and ceaseless practice realized in one life extending into so many lives..
Back to top Go down
mokuan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/25/2014, 3:31 pm

And you have said it beautifully, too, Bill.  Under our section here of "Suggestions for the OBC" I would add:  Look at how Kyogen did it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/25/2014, 3:47 pm

mokuan wrote:
And you have said it beautifully, too, Bill.  Under our section here of "Suggestions for the OBC" I would add:  Look at how Kyogen did it!
That would make for an interesting positive thread.
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/27/2014, 6:33 pm

There is a guest book where you can leave a personal thought...

http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/oregon/kyogen-carlson-condolences/172544904?&view=2&entry=88633946&referrer=1
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/27/2014, 6:39 pm

Chozen Roshi and Hogen Roshi are members of the White Plum Asanga, the lineage holders of Maezumi Roshi.

From Hogen, Roshi
In this sparkling, dreamlike world, nothing was changed by Kyogen's birth and nothing is lost with his death. And yet . . .
In 1984, on the day when Chozen and I drove our moving truck into Portland, Oregon, we turned on the radio and heard Kyogen and Gyokuko vainly presenting their zoning case before the city commissioners. We used to meet for dinner every Sunday, then in later years we would go to their center on Thursdays. Our sangha joined with theirs at the Portland Dharma Center, renting one or two or three nights a week for decades. We did ango together they would lead the opening sesshin and we would do the closing (and vice-versa). For many years we would co-teach Rohatsu sesshin together. We were planning on doing so this December. For over 25 years we did New Year's eve celebrations together.
I began teaching partly at Kyogen's insistence, "At a certain point if you do not begin sharing the dharma it starts to go sour inside." For six years Kyogen and I traveled together to the Soto Zen Buddhist Association (SZBA) board meetings; at the end of the meetings we would stop at the airport, have a beer, and share our mutual gratitude that we had found such wonderful life partners in Gyokuko and Chozen. We would reflect on the direction of SZBA. We co-hosted The Second Generation Teachers meetings which became the American Zen Teacher's Association, which we also co-hosted along with the SZBA meetings.
Chozen and I would go talk to Kyogen and Gyokuko and share dreams, commiserate about thankless students, get support, and just relax with another long-married couple who were also priests devoted to the dharma. We were at the opening of the Portland Dharma Center, they led the first retreat at Great Vow. They came to Heart of Wisdom's opening. We were at the blessing ceremony for the Siskiyou Temple.
We slept on the floor at their place so many times. Shared a drink (except for Chozen) on Sunday nights after a long week. We supported each other's students, shared our dismay at the inconstancy of some of our disciples. They had recently moved to our Trillium house. These are just a few of the threads with which our intimate dharma friendship was woven together.
Throughout the bright constancy of boundless awareness, my heart aches and waves of tears come as I reflect with gratitude on my dear dharma brother and friend of so many decades. My generation is quickly passing. In each passing moment as we briefly meet may our hearts be touched.
With sadness and love,
Hogen

https://www.zendust.org/abbot-kyogen-carlson
Back to top Go down
mstrathern
Admin
mstrathern

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty9/28/2014, 8:24 am

Just seen this thread and I am shocked and saddened by the death of my erstwhile anja. Kyogen. In partnership with Gyokuku, he has clearly contributed much to the planting of the true spirit of Soto in America. And that will be his true memorial.
My heart goes out to all who were close to him, and particularly Gyokuku. We all stand by you in friendship, love and darmha at this time of bereavement when sense may have seemed to have fled the world.
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty10/1/2014, 8:25 am

FYI there's a webpage now dedicated to the funeral:

http://dharma-rain.org/kyogens-funeral/

No additional news yet about the November event.

Last edited by Isan on 10/1/2014, 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
Back to top Go down
danstaples

danstaples

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty10/7/2014, 6:26 am

Gary/Kyogen seemed to me to get more empathetic as he got older. I felt that even with a very scant knowledge of his doings, that he was like a special contact kept in readiness were one needed. Yes, I was in approval when he didn't get divorced and was happy to see his meditation group grow and to see him elected to the national presidency of a prestigious association of Buddhist teachers.
I thought RMJK was overly harsh in her treatment of him at the Abbey until I had an enlightening experience the other day. Somehow, I wandered into the state of complete mental neglect I had gotten into in college - part anxiety and part ennui with zero awareness of any direction. Just as I foundered around, it was like a little bell sounding. RMJK's seemingly very rude public criticism from back in the day came seemingly through the years and the tone/presence pushed me right back onto the path. I wonder now if that same farsightedness didn't foresee Rev. Carlson's successes?
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty10/30/2014, 4:38 pm

Kyogen's Memorial November 6
Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died 232      On Thursday, November 6, we will do the 49-Day Memorial Service for Abbot Kyogen Carlson. This will be at the First Unitarian Church downtown at 1211 SW Main St. There is limited street parking, but there are pay lots across the street and nearby. We encourage carpools and alternative transportation when possible.
     Hopefully, you have received an invitation by e-mail already for this event. (If you didn't, check your spam folder.) Feel free to forward this to anyone you think might be interested. All are welcome. We have many guests coming from out of town. There will be a reception after the ceremony.
Back to top Go down
Gyokuko

Gyokuko

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty6/10/2015, 10:00 pm

Dear friends and Dharma Siblings
I have taken a vacation from OBCConnect while I regroup after Kyogen’s death.  I have been delighted to come back and read some of the heartwarming remembrances of Kyogen and his effect on people.  Even with all the difficulties we have individually had with the Abbey, we share somethings in our common experience that create a basis for respect and even friendship.  I have also been gratified to see that many of you have kind things to say about the organization Kyogen and I have nurtured for over thirty years.   I think that we have done our best to sort through the Dharma and practices that we received from Shasta and temper those gifts with the wisdom of other Zen lineages and other Buddhist sects to fashion a way forward that is appropriate and useful to the people we teach. 
I am proud of the community that has grown up around us and is now poised to move forward into the next generations of leadership.  We are building the physical and relational infrastructure to create a genuinely multi-generational community with monks, lay practitioners and non-Buddhists interacting and supporting each other.  This project is unique on this continent and, I think, a worthy testament to the sincerity and hard work we (including y’all in this) have contributed to the founding of Zen in the West.  Because pictures are more expressive than words, I hope you will follow this link. http://dharma-rain.org/new-campus-2/project-overview/  If you have any questions you may call me on my cell 503-277-3584, email me at Gyokuko@dharma-rain.org , or leave comments here at OBCConnect.  If you have an opportunity to visit Portland, I hope you will come see for yourself.  You will be most welcome.

Sincerely, Gyokuko
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty6/10/2015, 10:49 pm

Dear Gyokuko,
Thank you so much for posting here and giving us an update. You and Kyogen have contributed so much to the world we live in through the dharma teachings, the legacy of students and trained disciples, and preserving the wheat and releasing the chaff that has been carried through this lineage and tradition. Through your service and your practice you and Kyogen have embodied the best of Zen Buddhist practice as it takes root here in the Northwest and transmitted it to others. The vision and form of the new community is expansive and grand. You and Kyogen have done well in the way you have cultivated sources of support and networking in the larger Portland community. Our best wishes from me, Jeanette, and Frieda in this great endeavor and all the good that can come from it. 
Deep bows and gratitude,
Bill Ryan
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty6/11/2015, 12:01 am

Gyokuko, I can only echo what Bill has so eloquently stated.

And it is so good to see you posting here again!

I have been following the development of Siskiyou (Householder Refuge) Square since its inception, with great interest.

It has been a delight to see its ongoing construction.

I wish you all the best. And I can't help but think that what you are doing now is a model for what we must all be doing in the future!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty8/8/2015, 9:30 pm

FYI:

Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died S
Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died P1x1
Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died 1
Quick Links
Dharma Rain Zen Center

Upcoming Events

Related and Affiliated Groups
[size=32]Kyogen Memorial: Save the Date![/size]

On Saturday, September 19, near the anniversary of Abbot Kyogen Carlson's death, we will plan to have a big gathering on the property, with grilling of comestibles and a memorial ceremony in the Sodo. More specific information to come, including time.
     All are invited to come and share this remembrance.
Dharma Rain Zen Center
PO Box 13325
Portland, OR 97213-0325
(503) 239-4846

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died   Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died Empty

Back to top Go down

Rev. Sensei Kyogen Carlson has died
Page 1 of 1