OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gassho From Texas

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
emillersa1

emillersa1

Gassho From Texas Empty
PostSubject: Gassho From Texas   Gassho From Texas Empty10/28/2010, 9:36 pm

Hello and Gassho from Texas!
I am Ed Miller and I live in Kerrville, Texas. I have been practicing Soto Zen for about ten years through centers affiliated with the San Francisco Zen Center.
It seems that most of the Texas sanghas are affiliated with SFZen and the Austin Zen Centers. Are there affiliated OBC groups located in Texas?
How would one affiliate?

Respectful Bow,
Ed
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

Gassho From Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gassho From Texas   Gassho From Texas Empty10/29/2010, 8:49 am

Hi Ed, glad to have you here -- welcome to the forum!

To my knowledge there are no formal affiliated OBC groups in Texas, like a recognized meditation group or priory. On Shasta Abbey's website you can find lists of affiliated groups in different locations in the UK and US.

I'm no longer practicing with the OBC so I'm not the best person to address your question about affiliating. Perhaps a current member will say something about it. But I think most people who want to know about the OBC would visit one of the Abbeys or a priory, look at how they practice, get to know the people there and become known to them, and then maybe establish linkages with other members on an individual basis.

Please feel free to use this forum to put out a message if you're open to being contacted by OBC members in Texas. There may be some people in your area, you never know, who have a sitting group or go to OBC retreats together.

Just a tip, it's best not to post your phone # or address openly since this is a public forum and we get trolls from time to time. Sharing contact details through private messaging or your own email is a good way to go.

Thanks once more for joining.

cheers,
Lise

Last edited by Lise on 10/30/2010, 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo, grrr)
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Lise
Admin
Lise

Gassho From Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gassho From Texas   Gassho From Texas Empty10/29/2010, 12:47 pm

My reply above has generated a couple of questions (by PM) as to whether I am endorsing the OBC by what I said. I am not, but I do feel ok with giving information where I feel it’s appropriate. As others have said here, people can make up their own minds about what they find within the OBC. If they read much at all on this forum, they will know about pitfalls and caveats.

To avoid derailing Ed’s intro I will take this to a shadow thread, "Informing, not endorsing" and go on from there --

Lise
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
sugin

sugin

Gassho From Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gassho From Texas   Gassho From Texas Empty10/30/2010, 9:32 am

Hi Ed. I am originally from Texas, the gulf coast area not far from Houston. My first experience with meditation was at the Spiritu Institute in Houston and I still have very good memories of those days. Much of my family is around Austin now and I know there must be some very excellent Zen teachers and meditation groups there. Nice to have a fellow Texan on board.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gassho From Texas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gassho From Texas   Gassho From Texas Empty

Back to top Go down

Gassho From Texas
Page 1 of 1