OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Catholic ordination of married man

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lise
Admin
Lise

Catholic ordination of married man Empty
PostSubject: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty2/28/2014, 12:38 pm

I saw this news [url= http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/married-man-maronite-catholic-priest-us-22711539]article[/url] and thought "how sensible". And it even says that Pope Francis gave permission for the man to be ordained. I didn't know this was possible within the Catholic realm, but then I'm not familiar with their doings. The article implies the Eastern Catholics are an offshoot branch that coexists more or less peacefully with the main group.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/married-man-maronite-catholic-priest-us-22711539

Go, Francis Smile
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/3/2014, 4:46 am

There are several rites in the Roman Catholic Church. The most predominant one is the Latin Rite, which exists in Western Europe, the Far East, the Americas. It is a rite that requires a celibate priesthood. There is also the Byzantine Rite, the Ukrainian Rite, and the Maronite Rite (Present in Lebanon and Syria), all of which permit a married non-celibate priesthood. It should also be noted that within the Latin Rite the Vatican has given dispensations to marry to Protestant ministers who are ordained to the Catholic priesthood in the Latin Rite and who are already married. Observers of the Vatican and the current pope believe that allowing a married priesthood is perhaps one of the most likely and easiest major reforms to make, much easier than allowing women to become priests in terms of breaking with previous traditions and teachings.
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/7/2014, 5:12 pm

Thank you, Bill, that is interesting. I'd no idea there are different groups as you describe. 

I look forward to seeing what Francis may do during his time in office. Rather impressive so far, and it makes me wonder if the other cardinals knew what they were getting when they voted for him, or was he was a bit of a surprise Smile  I hope he gets up to all sorts of mayhem, I really do.
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/7/2014, 8:00 pm

Lise wrote:

I look forward to seeing what Francis may do during his time in office. Rather impressive so far, and it makes me wonder if the other cardinals knew what they were getting when they voted for him, or was he was a bit of a surprise Smile  I hope he gets up to all sorts of mayhem, I really do.

Likewise, Lise. Preliminary indications are he's shaking things up, including and starting with the centers of power in the Vatican, the bureaucracy of the Roman Curia. He makes some startling statements as well, like when he said the Catholic Church should be more decentralized, away from Rome. He's started to reform the Vatican Bank including shutting down its money laundering operation for organized crime, which the European Community and the Italian govt. have wanted for some time. (Just a few months ago two Vatican Bank officials were arrested trying to smuggle 30 mil. Euros from Switzerland into the Vatican Bank. ( See Frontline Special - "Secrets of the Vatican") ( And for more history on the Vatican Bank, do a google search on the Banco Ambrosiano scandal in the 80s, Roberto Calvi "God's Banker"- found hanging from Blackfriars Bridge in London, and the connection of the scandal to Opus Dei, who gave John Paul II 180 million dollars to give to Italian govt. to call off criminal investigation of the Vatican Bank, and drop arrest warrant on head of Vatican Bank, Bishop Marcinkus.)

I don't expect him to change anything doctrinally, but he has changed the conversation from sex and absolute religious authority to economics, justice, and support for the poor. He's loosened up a lot on social issues as well, just this week talking about maybe being okay with civil unions.(That kind of talk makes the Roman Catholic fundies go ballistic.) He is a Jesuit. And thought to be in the  "moderate" spectrum  of the Jesuit Order. But today's Jesuit Order is mostly quite on the liberal to radical end of the Catholic Church, unlike former times. Francis lived through the right wing military takeover in Argentina and saw the "dirty war" of the "disappeared" -the abuse and terror towards the poor especially that comes when the wealthy classes have absolute military power over the poor. Suddenly liberation theology has found new favor as well in the church leadership after JPII and Benedict shut it down.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/8/2014, 1:21 pm

I think that when spiritual experience is bottled up an the institutionized , the first petals of decay are already starting to set in.
On an encouraging note I heard on TV news this week that the Pope had sworn during an official,Pope blessing or something, I thought great news.

No chance of him commenting here then
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/8/2014, 3:39 pm

chisanmichaelhughes wrote:
I think that when spiritual experience is bottled up an the institutionized , the first petals of decay are already starting to set in.
On an encouraging note I heard on TV news this week that the Pope had sworn during an official,Pope blessing or something, I thought great news.

No chance of him commenting here then

Yup, practice is the thing. As soon as someone tries to brand it, bottle or package it, own it, then things run amuck and power motivations enter into it. 

The thing people like about Francis is his humanity, and that fact that he has priorities more in alignment with humanity. Swearing in public shows humility and a willingness to be unmasked.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/8/2014, 4:09 pm

completely agree Bill.
I  don't feel organised religions are wrong,but I do feel they can lead innocent people to strange places,with their demands of faith, and use of behavioral  control.
Unmasking ourselves so we are able to rediscover our  humanity that we share with all beings is sometimes lost in the forests of mass historical thinking and points of view
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/8/2014, 6:55 pm

My main issue with institutional religion is that it is in the business of power and control by making claims to be the intermediary, the franchise, the dispenser, or the conduit to Ultimate Reality. They control the magic and access. And too often they even try to control governments and public policy. Any authentic teacher or practitioner simply shares what has been helpful to them in the way of practice, without making exclusive truth claims, or claims to exclusive access. Too often institutional religion, and that includes institutional monasticism, disempowers persons from actualizing for themselves, through practice, whatever awakening, healing, or completion is to be realized. If religion were to make of itself a supportive companion, rather an undeserved authority to be obeyed, a dispenser of grace to fill our emptiness, or a purveyor of magic to be believed,  the end result might be spiritual adults able to stand on their own two feet, rather than the infantile spiritual immaturity, and unrealized and thwarted potential we have today in humankind. In the way of spiritual companioning I like what Brigid of Kildare (6th c.)  said, that the most important support in the spiritual life is to have an 'anam cara" or soul friend, if possible. But even without that support, my own view is that having a committed life long meditation practice is what is sustaining and life-giving. We need no intermediaries or conduits or authorities. As the Buddha said, "Be a light unto yourself." I think that holds true, regardless of tradition. My most important supports to my practice and growth have been loving and true spiritual friends.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/8/2014, 7:15 pm

Brilliantly said Bill,you certainly speak for me and I am sure many other here and elsewhere who have come through the initial spiritual enthusiasm of arriving at the door one way or another of religion.The
dichotomy of zen is the form can point to the spirit, a good teacher sees both sides, and can guild through the emptiness of both form and attainment,a rocky road as we discover.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/8/2014, 11:01 pm

Off topic- Michael, the Doc Martin series is quite popular here in the states. I've enjoyed it immensely myself. I know virtually nothing about Cornwall but I have enjoyed the visuals on the show of Port Isaac and the environs. Are they representative of the coast of Cornwall? Perhaps one day my wife and I will have the pleasure of seeing Cornwall in person.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/9/2014, 5:16 am

I am pleased you like the series Bill,it is shot in Port Isaac, on the North Coast  a traditional fishing village,which is now very popular,as a resort for celebrities and prime ministers.
Cornwall has changed so much over the last few years. these picturesque villages have  been in demand from people who want a holiday home,improved rods has made Cornwall very accessible. However the local communities are still strong.It is the local people which are the character of the rugged place. For years fishing and mining has been the core of the local industry,they are both decimated by politics  or easier places to mine tin in the world,which leaves farming as a big industry. 
Farming has also been incredibly hit first by climate change and secondly by farmers signing up to large super markets and then finding the supermarkets gain control and keep price down. Traditionally the milder winters due to the gulf stream meant we could grow crops that other parts of the country could not grow through the winter and spring,meaning more money for the farmer, However the climate has changed the rest of England does not get as much snow and we are having much rainier winters and springs.
But within the incredible beautiful landscapes , we adapt and change, we laugh our way through,not many people live here so we are used to surviving on not a lot, the internet has brought us closer to more people so we can have a larger market, but the skill to use the internet was slow to come here,we have had to struggle and learn it,but there are micro businesses springing up based on sales up the country, we sell far more up there than locally because by comparison we are highly competitive because our labor rate is lower.
So Cornwall is a reflective mix of clear skys, villages coastlines and proud people who have years of picking them selves up, a great place I hope you all like seeing Doc Martin let me know if you come over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/9/2014, 10:13 am

Michael, thank you for the comprehensive and beautiful description of Cornwall and its way of life. Clearly you love Cornwall and its people and the land. A good recommendation for a visit. If we make it, we'll make a point of making contact. Thanks for the welcome.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/9/2014, 10:34 am

Nice one Bill.
I took some photos this morning whilst walking the dog of the sea. cliffs and cove where I live, all I need now is some young kids to return to load them for me so I can show you (sorry we are off topic Lise a little personal interaction)
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty3/9/2014, 12:47 pm

Catholic ordination of married man ?ui=2&ik=90b8b5a2c2&view=att&th=144a7a1353914482&attid=0
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catholic ordination of married man   Catholic ordination of married man Empty

Back to top Go down

Catholic ordination of married man
Page 1 of 1