the forum's been quieter lately, but perhaps that's a good moment to refresh on the rules, whilst no one is breaking them or arguing about them
1. This is a privately managed forum. We reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason. Please be aware that it is not a “free speech zone”; no First Amendment rights apply in this setting. First Amendment rights are only implicated where government action attempts to restrict speech, and we are not the government. When you visit this forum it’s the same as entering the living room of someone’s home. If you don’t agree with the house rules and choose not to follow them, you lose the right to participate here.
2. Although many who post here identify as Buddhists, many are not. There is no requirement or expectation that anyone be Buddhist in order to participate, nor adhere to rigid forms of so-called Buddhist behaviour; apart from compliance with posted rules, there is no overlay of doctrinal "preceptual speech" applied to the interaction.
3. Each member may register one username on this forum. If you register more than one username, your accounts will be deactivated permanently.
4. The forums are free of charge. It's all right to mention your own publications or the type of work you do, but please do not post for the purpose of advertising your own or someone else's commercial business. Links to personal blogs are acceptable so long as the linked material doesn't violate any rules here, especially #18 below.
5. Please be aware that this forum is oriented to civil expression. Profanity, obscenities, swear words and other coarse language are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes words where letters are replaced by symbols such as *. Repeat offenders will lose posting privileges.
6. Be courteous. The following are not allowed: personal insults/name-calling, racism, swearing, gratuitously offensive material, personal attacks, and trolling (making controversial posts purely to stir up an adverse reaction).
7. You are welcome to challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Keep in mind that others have the right to disagree with you.
8. Remember that this is a public forum that is viewable and searchable by anyone on the Internet. If you don’t want to disclose your identity, don’t post information about yourself or your life circumstances that would let someone else know who you are.
9. Occasionally, forum moderators may need to become involved in moderating a thread. Should you be concerned about any such action, please raise it with a moderator or administrator by private message. Just as attacks on other members are against the rules, so are attacks on moderators.
10. Usernames that have the appearance of email addresses are not accepted.
11. Please keep your posts relevant to the forum topics. Thread-jacking is disrespectful to other users and will not be allowed. Where a topic has been identified as a “dedicated thread”, this means that off-topic posts will be moved or deleted at the moderators’ discretion, in order to preserve the original poster’s stated purpose and intent for the thread.
12. You grant a permanent license to OBC Connect to display the content of any and all posts you make on the forum.
13. Please use only the smilies on this forum; do not upload other emoticons to your posts.
14. Discussions of political or religious themes are allowed if carried out thoughtfully, with respect for others’ ideas. Talk about your own ideas. Refrain from baseless bashing of other members' ideas.
15. Private messaging is considered private, however, if the system is used to distribute vulgar, obscene, harassing, hateful, spamming or other type of disallowed communications, and if such are reported to the administrators, the sender(s) will lose forum membership permanently.
16. Although the administrators and moderators will attempt to keep objectionable posts off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the creators of OBC Connect nor Forumotion will be held responsible for the content of any message.
17. We reserve the right to accept or decline membership applications, vary forum privileges, and terminate the membership of anyone for any reason.
18. By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are defamatory, libelous, obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise in violation of any laws.