OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Tao of Now

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol

PostSubject: The Tao of Now   Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:25 pm

I want to recommend Josh' book The Tao is Now.

The book, published in 2008, is a compendium of short readings meant to be read on a daily basis rather than in one sitting. Josh has selected short pieces from writers of many traditions -- Jesus, Rumi, Voltaire, Omar Khayam,the Dalai Lama, Franz Kafka, Keizan, many contemporary writers -- you get the idea.

Each reading contains a short comment written by Josh.

The theme tying the pieces together is "In This Moment." One of my favorites (and one of the shortest) is Rumi:
       "You are the truth from foot to brow.
       Now what else would you like to know?"

Here's another short sample from (of all places) the Bible, book of Exodus:
      "Take off your shoes. The ground where you stand is holy ground."

You can get this book on Amazon. Or perhaps Josh's generous offer to send one to OBCC folks is still open.

This book is a gem. It's an aid to moment-to-moment meditation, but it  blows  the autocratic, authoritarian, the-master-knows-all model of religious teaching out of the water.

I highly recommend this book!
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tao of Now   Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:46 pm

Well said Carol, I agree!
Back to top Go down
breljo

PostSubject: Re: The Tao of Now   Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:03 am

Carol,  I haven't seen the book, but love the two quotes you picked out and thought about how it is possible  to be able to give expression to so much with just a few words.  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: The Tao of Now   Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:33 am

yes great book I was kindly sent a free one,which is now doing the rounds of my friends
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tao of Now   Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:15 am

I keep mine on the nightstand in our guest bedroom. When I have retreated there to get some peace from a houseful of dogs, spouse, teen boy and friends, there it is, waiting for me.  Sometimes our overnight guests look at it and mention it. And the book fits perfectly into my "airline survival bag", next to my noise-cancelling headset, travel pillow and packets of flavored instant coffee. Reading it in flight is comforting, when little children are running amok or turbulence is getting the best of my nerves.

Love this book.
Back to top Go down
http://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Jcbaran

PostSubject: Re: The Tao of Now   Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Yes, free books available to anyone on this site.  Just send me - email or private message me -  your mailing address.  There is a new edition, so I got a bunch of copies of the previous edition that I could give away.  Cover not so great, but same material.  I find many of the quotes are good meditation aids - the kind of thing that you read before or after you sit - as a reminder, a pointing out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tao of Now   

Back to top Go down

The Tao of Now
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OBC Connect :: OBC Connect :: The Reading Corner-
Jump to: