OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Akong murdered

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty10/9/2013, 1:12 am

I have just heard Akong who founded Samye Ling has been murdered in China, not sure if it was the original Akong who started the centre,news is sketchy
Bill Picard met him when he was a young boy and remained friends
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty10/9/2013, 3:05 am

I have heard a little more news now,all quite shocking. there is a great picture i suppose Bill took after the war of three young Tibetan monks,Akong and Trumpa and 1 other whom I can not remember. Bill had been learning meditation in their monastry , in Northern India. The young monks eventually came over to the UK and I believe studied at Oxford,and would visit Bill.Bill was very fond of them and kept in touch with Akong. Despite his position Akong remained very normal and human very approachable,I believe he opened a small bed and breakfast place outside of Samye Ling and supported his family,terrible way to end anyone's life.
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty10/9/2013, 12:15 pm

Yes it is. Poor man. Blessings to Akong and those who loved him.
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
glorfindel

glorfindel

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty10/9/2013, 1:35 pm

Sad news. My little sister and a few of my friends were very fond of Akong. I went to Samye Ling a few times.
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty10/9/2013, 7:18 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10368123/Choje-Akong-Rinpoche.html 

Here`s a link to a newspaper article about Akong...or Choje Akong Rinpoche to give his full
title.
For various reasons, he never actually ordained.  The article clarifies his position quite clearly.
He was a very humble and unassuming man who thought that his understanding was not up to
his own perceived high standards, and so didn`t become a formal teacher.
He escaped from Tibet with a group of other refugees and only a few survived the journey.
Chogyam Trungpa was one of them and one other one which Mike was struggling to remember
was Lama Chime Rinpoche.  A lovely man who I had the pleasure of studying under for a while.
Also very humble and unassuming .  He formed the first Buddhist centre in England and taught
Pema Chodron..and David Bowie, amongst many others.  He later disrobed , married and had
children.
As Akong was the first to find a job in England, he supported Trungpa and Chime financially,
allowing them to study in Oxford until further developments.
Akong was a co-founder of Samye Ling Monastery. He had an interest in the relationship
between Buddhist philosophy and western psychiatry and the possibility of meditation as therapy.
I don`t know of any literature on those particular interests of his.  It would make interesting
reading, I`m sure.
A sad loss of a good man.
Back to top Go down
glorfindel

glorfindel

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty10/27/2013, 5:11 pm

Thanks for the info Stan. How you doing man?
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty10/27/2013, 6:54 pm

Hey Glorfindel....where you been ?

Nothing to report at my end. Everyday is just another day of vacation I`m glad to report...might
 get boring at this rate. Shouldn`t complain...had enough of all the other stuff. good riddance.
 thanks for asking though.
 Hows you and your`s ?  well I hope .  been up to anything exciting ? what`s the news man ?  You
 been checking out the forum ?  kind of mellow around here these days.
 I hope you`re in a good place.

Stan.
Back to top Go down
glorfindel

glorfindel

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty11/12/2013, 8:00 am

Glad you're on permanent holiday Stan! Don't bother getting bored though. As long as there is a breeze to ruffle your hair, or a raindrop to catch on your tongue, then there is wonder to experience. 

Yea, we are ok. Two little girls have screeching contests. The sounds increase in volume and pitch for a good ten minutes. It reaches critical mass and there is no stopping it and my only option is to cover my ears. Then the screeches turn to laughter. Often the mother, in an angry attempt to stop the noise, actually adds to it. I just sit there, with my ears covered, riding that rollercoaster to hell!
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty11/12/2013, 9:09 am

glorfindel wrote:

Yea, we are ok. Two little girls have screeching contests. The sounds increase in volume and pitch for a good ten minutes. It reaches critical mass and there is no stopping it and my only option is to cover my ears. Then the screeches turn to laughter. Often the mother, in an angry attempt to stop the noise, actually adds to it. I just sit there, with my ears covered, riding that roller coaster to hell!
Ah, family life.  I so wish I hadn't forgotten to have kids! :-)
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty11/12/2013, 9:26 am

Yeah,  So glad we remembered to forget !
 Don`t worry Glorfindel...the first 20 years are the worst...apparently.  Lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Akong murdered Empty
PostSubject: Re: Akong murdered   Akong murdered Empty

Back to top Go down

Akong murdered
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OBC Connect :: OBC Connect :: In Memoriam-
Jump to: