OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond

Go down 
+2
Nicky
Jcbaran
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty
PostSubject: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty12/2/2012, 12:39 pm

AGING AS A SPIRITUAL PRACTICE by Lewis Richmond

Paperback Release Date: December 31, 2012

The bestselling author of Work as a Spiritual Practice presents a user’s life guide to aging well and making every year fulfilling and transformative.

Everything changes. For Zen Buddhist priest and meditation teacher Lewis Richmond, this fundamental Buddhist tenet is the basis for a new inner road map that emerges in the later years, charting an understanding that can bring new possibilities and a wealth of appreciation and gratitude for the life journey itself.

Aging as a Spiritual Practice is a wise, compassionate book that guides readers through the four key stages of aging—such as “Lightning Strikes” (the moment we wake up to our aging)—as well as the processes of adapting to change, embracing who we are, and appreciating our unique life chapters. Unlike many philosophical works on aging this one incorporates illuminating facts from scientific researchers, doctors, and psychologists as well as contemplative practices and guided meditations. Breath by breath, moment by moment, Richmond’s teachings inspire limitless opportunities for a joy that transcends age.

Reviews

“A practical, step-by-step set of attitudes and practices, which open the reader to philosophical maturation.” —James Hollis, PhD, author of Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life

“A spiritual affirmation that provides a welcome alternative to the prevailing belief that maintaining the appearance of youth as long as possible is an antidote to aging.” – Kirkus Reviews

“This compassionate, hopeful book is a valuable resource for the inquiring adult coping with the passages of aging.” —Publishers Weekly

About the Author

Lewis Richmond is a Zen Buddhist priest and meditation teacher whose three previous books include the national bestseller Work as a Spiritual Practice. He lives in the San Francisco Bay area.
Back to top Go down
Nicky

PostSubject: Re: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty12/3/2012, 4:12 am

Thank you Josh for mentioning that book - SOUNDS just what i need!
i go to your postings with dread as the subject is usually ghastly , but this sounds helpful . Have you read it though ? i see on amazon its been out here since march .
Back to top Go down
http://www.Nickyloutit.co.uk
Nicky

PostSubject: Re: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty12/3/2012, 10:17 am

Josh , I'm sorry it was early morning and i was upset , but i don't like the look of my posting above with the' ghastly word' . You are frequently expressing valuable concerns - its just my reaction , sometimes -
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty12/3/2012, 10:30 am

Nicky wrote:
Josh , I'm sorry it was early morning and i was upset , but i don't like the look of my posting above with the' ghastly word' . You are frequently expressing valuable concerns - its just my reaction , sometimes -

The subject matter of many of Josh's posts is ghastly. It's no reflection on him though :-)
Back to top Go down
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

PostSubject: Re: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty12/3/2012, 10:38 am

ghastly is not a bad word to use at all. i feel it is part of my "job" to share books and articles and stories that shine a light on the shadows. somebody has to do it, i guess. ignoring all this stuff, well not a sane option. It doesn't work.

Lew Richmond is an old friend of mine. I haven't fully read the book, but he is a kind and warm and self-aware teacher and the issues he raises in the book - well, we are all dealing with this - and one of the key teachings in Zen and Tibetan practice is to bring everything to the path, everything is part of the greater daily life koan -- and what could be more THAT than getting older. Lew also writes a lot of blogs for the Huffingtonpost. You might be able to get a used copy of the hardcover on line cheaper than the paperback, but then they often add on shipping.
Back to top Go down
Nicky

PostSubject: Re: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty12/3/2012, 1:26 pm

Isan ,
of course not . ( its me, my reactions , i shouldn't have posted then )

And Josh, again.... of course , i see that .And I'm so sorry to have even bought it up .AND
Thank you very much , i better buy that book !

Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty12/3/2012, 3:07 pm

Nicky you are wonderfully free to say what you want and speak your mind,Talking about the sex scandles and lives of jesus is all ghastly,I think most people would prefer to hear now rather than 40 years down the road.it does not stop gradual self awakening being very beautiful and moving
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty12/3/2012, 4:31 pm

Chiming in to agree with Michael - Nicky, you didn't say anything out of line. Most of us say what we feel and it works out just fine, well, except for the potty-mouth folks and they have to sit in time-out sometimes Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond 538897

I used to get after Josh for posting articles that contained inappropriate terms we hadn't had a chance to ban yet. I learned to keep a firm grip on my coffee cup when reading his new posts Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond 59388
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Nicky

PostSubject: Re: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty12/4/2012, 6:39 am

RIGHT OK ..... 'Aging as spiritual practice '
Got it on Kindle (eyes aren't so good ) I dont usually like /use those sort of books , but this time , well its a bit of a border line beckoning .
Chisan , thank you , yes i like that , and thank you too lise , today is different, bright and cold and beaming with light .
Back to top Go down
myozen

myozen

PostSubject: Re: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty12/9/2012, 3:03 pm

Hi Josh,
Coming to this discussion a bit belated. I followed Lewis Richmond's "Aging as Spiritual Practice" retreat on tricycle.com and found that it was so moving and it really intimately and eloquently addressed matters I have been mulling over the past year. Although these matters relate to keenly realizing my own mortality, there is no sense of "negativity" - there is such a sense of everything being so precious, so rich and Lewis Richmond expresses this wonderfully. I am looking forward to purchasing the book. As you say, we are all dealing with this!

Thanks, do enjoy your reviews!

Gassho,
Myozen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond   Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond Empty

Back to top Go down

Aging as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond
Page 1 of 1