OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?

Go down 
+3
breljo
Howard
Lise
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lise
Admin
Lise

Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty
PostSubject: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty5/26/2012, 10:53 am

Many of us will always be connected by way of past and present ties to the OBC, but that's clearly not the only reason we come here anymore. I would like to update and refresh the statement that currently says:

"Keep in touch with current and former members of the
Order of Buddhist Contemplatives. Voice your concerns, share your
experiences regarding Shasta Abbey, Throssel Hole Buddhist Abbey and
their respective affiliated groups -- diverse viewpoints welcome."

Suggestions welcome -

Last edited by Lise on 5/26/2012, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Howard

Howard

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty5/26/2012, 7:56 pm

Without a lot of thought going into it.. A simpler and more inclusive banner could be something like.....

The OBCC was originally formed as an open speaking site for anyone who is in or has had a relationship with the OBC but has now evolved to include a more diverse audience.

A bit clunky. I still prefer your shorter talking points.
Back to top Go down
http://hrmitchell54@yahoo.com
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty5/29/2012, 3:12 pm

thanks Howard -

We'll probably tweak it a bit and will welcome feedback to that version also. Not that it's a big deal, it's only a description, but part of me wants to change it so newcomers know to look for all the solid discussions that may have little or nothing to do with OBC - apart from it being the grain of sand which brought this little pearl of a forum into being -
Back to top Go down
breljo

breljo

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty5/31/2012, 12:44 pm

A bit long, but how about:

An open invitation to sincere individuals of diverse spiritual traditions that may be able to expand or enhance the current viewpoints, understandings of the perspectives of former and current members of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives and to open possibilities for greater understanding between these traditions by bringing about mutually respectful and interesting discussions of same.
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty5/31/2012, 1:11 pm

not bad at all, thanks Brigitte -

Maybe a rotating statement, like each week we put up a new statement suggested by a member. Might be kind of cool to see the different viewpoints our members hold re: what this forum is, or has the potential to be --

What do we think about a rotating statement? Howard's for a week, then Brigitte's, then ?

(Glorfindel, don't you dare send one about poo b/c we just won't have it.)
Back to top Go down
Ikuko

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty5/31/2012, 2:42 pm

Yes Lise

Good idea to have an organic changeable banner that we can all contribute.

This site has been a great support to me.

I have discovered so much about the mature growing"real" sangha,so much accumulated wisdom(and silliness),and I have found that my thoughts and experiences are echoed and reflected in the experiences of others.It has helped to ease the loneliness of the long distance meditator.

Let's help it grow and change.The posts about new and evolving ways of meeting to meditate show that this is the happening thing now..In order to grow, we all need to talk and listen to others.For me I find this can be such a slow process.I'm looking to develop models and find out more about how other "sanghas" are doing it.(Glorfindel,no,no,no)! ,to cheer me on my way.

I will contribute a statement about the purpose of the site if and when you ask Lise,very happily,cos it is SUCH A GOOD IDEA.

Bless you
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty5/31/2012, 3:12 pm

Ikuko, please consider yourself asked Smile
Back to top Go down
breljo

breljo

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty5/31/2012, 7:14 pm

Rotation sounds good Lise, and as Ikuko put it, an organic evolving banner, change being the one constant we can count on, build upon and learn from, onward and upward, even sideways here and there. And just as I was thinking about making an additional comment about the sound of the mighty conch the gardeners leaf blower comes on just at the right moment to gratefully stop me.
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty5/31/2012, 11:38 pm

you can certainly make another comment or addition to your suggestion, feel free to amend and edit as you like Smile
Back to top Go down
polly

polly

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty6/1/2012, 2:44 pm

Hi there,

I like the idea of the forum evolving a bit. Though it was a lifesaver for me in its initial form... I had to stop being angry with the OBC. To shift the focus to "ease the loneliness of the long-distance meditator" (Ikuko) sounds appealing now.

Polly
Back to top Go down
glorfindel

glorfindel

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty6/1/2012, 6:04 pm

Ikuko wrote:
(Glorfindel,no,no,no)!

As always, I will take that as a "yes"
Back to top Go down
Ikuko

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty6/4/2012, 12:46 pm

Possible banner description for this site:

"Devoted to practice and critical awareness".

Comments/amendments welcome!

blessings

Ikuko
Back to top Go down
mstrathern
Admin
mstrathern

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty6/4/2012, 9:00 pm

I think just keep it open, simple and wide. A suggestion would be:

'A site for those with an interest in the OBC, past or present, and related subjects'

As to a revolving banner I'm not so sure. When did you last read the banner. I know that till now I haven't read it for many months and I doubt I would look everytime I logged on, I come for the postings. Also a constantly changing banner may play havoc with search engines.
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty6/4/2012, 11:07 pm

I suppose some new people may read the banner when they first come here, and they are the audience I was thinking of primarily, although the established community counts too.

With a changing banner we may look at it more often, to see who has something to say (there would be proper attribution).

And I think we're highly searchable no matter what the banner says, thanks to M. Little and numerous keywords related to other Shasta Abbey shenanigans.

I guess you can see which way I'm leaning. Mostly because I'd like to encourage new ideas here, even my own Smile
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty6/14/2012, 1:08 pm

Since the forum software limits the number of characters in the banner description, we'll post part of Brigitte's now and the other part later. We will outfox the machine one way or another -
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?   Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it time to expand the banner page description for this site?
Page 1 of 1