OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cream buns and sponges

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lise
Admin
Lise

Cream buns and sponges Empty
PostSubject: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/18/2012, 6:38 pm

[Admin note: this topic was split from the thread "Bright Moon's invitation to OBC Connect readers" in order to let the original thread remain on-topic.]

I hope it's all right to share recipes and the like. If they have one for cream buns, that would be nice to have here.

Last edited by Lise on 5/22/2012, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : identify source thread)
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Mia

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/18/2012, 8:09 pm

Ok this one's amazing. May not look like much on paper, but surprisingly quick to make and tastes incredible. (Though I'd recommend exchanging half the fromage frais with whip cream. And don't watch the video, Delia looks scary.)
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/18/2012, 9:32 pm

oh, this looks good! thanks Mia. I'll double the jam, you can't have too much of that - Cream buns and sponges 710743

Agree w/you about Delia.
Back to top Go down
Ikuko

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/19/2012, 11:30 am

Mmmm yes, more cakes, and mastery of cake, and cake days .

Poor Delia,she has a hard time juggling cookery goddess role and football manager hard nose I expect.

Will try this recipe too....
Back to top Go down
Ikuko

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/19/2012, 11:35 am

Looks easy and luscious, but hey I can't agree about D.S.

She's fab, she's trendy, she's far out!
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/19/2012, 11:57 am

Lise wrote:
I hope it's all right to share recipes and the like. If they have one for cream buns, that would be nice to have here.

I was going to make a wise crack about this, but now I'm glad I waited. The exchange of recipes appears to be the way forward. Perhaps eventually joint bake sales? Is this a wise crack? Cream buns and sponges 538897
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/19/2012, 8:29 pm

Isan wrote:

I was going to make a wise crack about this, but now I'm glad I waited. The exchange of recipes appears to be the way forward. Perhaps eventually joint bake sales? Is this a wise crack? Cream buns and sponges 538897

Isan, you cut me to the quick. I'm guessing you were a suspicious man even before you found this forum, therefore I won't take responsibility for your current state of mind. Cream buns and sponges 538897 I will offer merit for you, not a lot though because I haven't much to spare at the moment.

Yes, I think recipes are a marvelous way forward. What do we all have in common? Food, glorious food . . . especially sweets Cream buns and sponges 59388

Last edited by Lise on 5/19/2012, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot a smiley!)
Back to top Go down
Mia

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/20/2012, 5:40 am

Ikuko wrote:
I can't agree about D.S. She's fab, she's trendy, she's far out!
lol. Yes she was an easy target, I was mean because she scares me. It would be easier to like her if she smiled more in the pics... but then that's what people say about me too. Smile

Today's recipe is a Swedish ginger-and-butter rulltårta à la Mia, but that's enough of the tangent... Can someone start a recipe thread on bright moon maybe?
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/20/2012, 12:56 pm

Recipes threads - this is great. I'll visit yours and put one up here too.

In regard to Rob's comment, above:
Quote :
The personal user information including the full name and location that is gathered is for "mapping" the sangha.

I have a stray, completely frivolous thought:

I would like to track some of our OBCC sangha, possibly with a microchip or one of those GPS dart-borne devices used to follow wolves' and white pointers' migratory patterns. Some OBCC members are very much on-the-go, doing cool things, meeting up with interesting folk. We don't hear the half of it.

End of threadjack, back to regular programming -
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/25/2012, 2:36 pm

I'm making Delia's sponge this weekend, using differents jams/jelly - peach & jalapeno on one 1/3 of the cake, raspberry-cherry and strawberry on the other segments. Son's friends will be the tasting panel.
Back to top Go down
Mia

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/25/2012, 2:44 pm

Ahah - jalapeno in a cake? Interesting! What does the peach/jalapeno combo taste like? Sounds like something that would work really well with vanilla mascarpone!
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/25/2012, 3:05 pm

I think so - most pepper jellies pair well with cream cheese so I think mascarpone and fromage frais would be a good bet. I think of pepper jelly as "sweet heat" - the fruit is still primary and the undertone of jalapeno adds a spicy kick which can be quite powerful or less so, depending on whether you've got a small-batch, artisan-type product or the commercial stuff. Ideally the jelly should be balanced between fruit-sweetness and pepper-heat.

The next time I'm in our local orchard-market I will count the variations of pepper and fruit amongst all the jars, and report back -
Back to top Go down
Mia

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/25/2012, 3:11 pm

*Coveting happening here*
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/25/2012, 3:38 pm

piccies to follow, if the cake doesn't fall apart - or combust -

Will you be in the kitchen yourself this weekend?

Edited to say - who else among us are in the kitchen this weekend, and what are we making?
Back to top Go down
Ikuko

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/25/2012, 5:08 pm

Hey Lise

Jalapeno cake? wow!

I'm chopping crudites(you know,little veggie sticks) for 80 people !tomorrow.

It's my friend Mark's Surprise 60th.His family are secretly coming from all over the world for the big shindig.

My little contribution is the little veggie sticks for the dips.

Today I made a lush sweet potato stew which I ate In the garden.Sometimes it just works ....I am a good- ish cook but I don't follow recipes and I often don't remember how I made what I made.

The main thing about the stew was I cooked down onion celery and the sweet potato very slowly till everything was sweet than added tomato soya sauce and vegetable bouillon.Ooh it was delicious.

I am a cake newbie.When my son was two,the neighbours brought cakes because they KNEW I didn't bake,cos I was a little hippy.That shamed me and now I do bake sometimes but still as if I never learnt ....

I make banana bread and that's usually turns out ok...

More recipes please....Isan? You to share isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Ikuko

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/25/2012, 5:30 pm

Lise

Have to add this here .

I am still blocked from the post previously mentioned,including PMs from you,so my apologies for not replying.

I will try to get the server to un block.It is weird isn't it.

Going to bed to prepare for chopping day tomorrow.

Ikuko
Back to top Go down
Mia

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/25/2012, 5:42 pm

Lise wrote:
Will you be in the kitchen yourself this weekend?
This is my weekend off... my boyfriend is getting progressively bigger after 2 weeks of my Delia experiments and he won't let me back in frown
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty5/27/2012, 1:29 pm

Your experiments must be a success then. Maybe boyfriend just needs a 5-hr hike/run/forced march to burn off the meal? Yeah, mine wouldn't go for that either.

Ikuko, I cook like that too, not always noting or remembering how the end product got that way. Love veg stews anytime of year, and trying new toppings on them / hot sauce, citrus juices, parsley/cilantro, grated cheese, . Not all at once though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cream buns and sponges   Cream buns and sponges Empty

Back to top Go down

Cream buns and sponges
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OBC Connect :: OBC Connect :: The Kitchen-
Jump to: