OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"

Go down 
+2
Lise
Jcbaran
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty
PostSubject: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/24/2012, 4:11 pm

wasn't sure where to put this article. It highlights how much we human beings love stories and why we are so enchanted by religion and prophets and gurus. In the process, historical truth becomes fairly irrelevant. One tomb is as good as any other. Projection, imagination, hopes and fears, our unquestioned beliefs and sometimes the craving for saviors and saints to take away our pain or protect us or make things OK.......

Israel Miracles Sought At Tombs Of Sages

NETIVOT, Israel (AP) — One man prays to heal the legs he broke in a car accident. An older woman pleads for grandchildren. Another visitor has come to see "God's secretary."

These believers are part of a growing phenomenon in Israel, where hundreds of thousands of people from starkly different backgrounds flock to the tombs of ancient Biblical figures or modern-day rabbis, seeking blessings and claiming they've witnessed miracles.

At many of these sites there is scant proof that any sage is actually buried there. Some are even believed to be co-opted Ottoman or Muslim burial places. But to the faithful, the lack of hard evidence is irrelevant. It's the deep spiritual experience or, for some, the desperate desire to be blessed, that matters.

"Coming here is being able to speak to God's secretary. It's the closest you can get," said Suzy Shaked, a 55-year-old teacher from central Israel who visited the tomb of Rabbi Yisrael Abuhatzeira, one of the most popular pilgrimage sites.

Shaked said she sees Abuhatzeira, better known as the Baba Sali, as God's envoy. A visit to his tomb puts her requests in God's earshot. She was praying at the Baba Sali's tomb for her son to marry.

While there are no firm statistics on how many Israelis visit sites like the Baba Sali's tomb, researchers say the number is growing.

They cite the rising power of religious political parties, the influence of Israelis of north African descent who traditionally practiced these kinds of pilgrimages, and a growing desire by even secular Jews to find meaning in their lives through a spiritual act. Prominent businessmen and politicians are known to make appearances at the sites.

"It's hard for (people) to be satisfied with prayer in a synagogue to a God who is very abstract, who is unclear, who is not accessible," said Doron Bar, a historical geographer who studies the sites. "I think visiting a grave like this gives believers a line through which demands can be made."

Bar believes that the number of pilgrimage sites has grown into the hundreds.

The phenomenon has spawned a tourist trade, where busloads of faithful are ferried from one burial site to another to make a variety of wishes.

"People see results," said Benny Barzilai, who runs monthly trips to tombs. "That's why this tour succeeds."

Morroccan-born Abuhatzeira was revered even in life as a mystic and performer of miracles. After he died in January 1984, he gained rock star-like fandom.

Today, his tomb in the blue-collar town of Netivot in southern Israel draws an estimated hundreds of thousands of pilgrims. The anniversary of his death is especially popular, a time that is believed to grant the worshipper a heightened closeness to God.

It's the second-most visited tomb in Israel, after that of Yonatan ben Uziel in northern Israel. That site, which reportedly draws half a million people a year, is believed to answer prayers for marriage.

At the Baba Sali compound, believers of all stripes could be seen during the recent anniversary commemorations— mildly religious young women in tight jeans and red nails, pious elderly women in long floral skirts and head coverings, silver-haired politicians in pinstriped suits. The tomb was packed with a mass of wailing worshippers, which swelled gradually into the evening.

The day was joyful and festive, with barbecues, picnics and vendors selling candles and clocks bearing the Baba Sali's image. The faithful hurled candles into a large furnace, a ritual with pagan tinges meant to immortalize the sage's soul.

"I take advantage of any opportunity to go see a sage," said Shimon Kaslessi, a truck driver, who walks with crutches but was told he likely wouldn't walk at all after a car crash two years ago.

"When you've seen miracles, when the sage makes a handicapped person walk, you believe," he added, a tear streaming down his face.

Although the burial place of modern rabbis like Abuhatzeira are not questioned, those of more ancient sages are not always investigated or recognized by any official body, meaning anyone can theoretically designate a place as holy and spark a following.

A site near the central town of Modiin is believed by some to be the tomb of the Jewish priest Matityahu ben Yohanan, one of the heroes of the Hasmonean Revolt against the Greeks more than 2,000 years ago. While not officially recognized, the site draws hundreds of pilgrims a year.

Similarly, a tomb in a Jerusalem mosque is sacred to Jews, Muslims and Christians, yet each claims a different holy woman is buried there.

Researchers believe the grave of the prophet Havakuk in northern Israel was possibly deemed to be there because the prophet's name rhymed with a nearby village, Yakuk.

It's unclear how the phenomenon took root. Traditionally in Judaism, prostrating oneself at graves was forbidden, as it was likened to the prohibited custom of idol worship.

Some studies believe that after Israel gained independence in 1948, many important Jewish sites beyond Israel's boundaries were out of reach. Jews in turn assigned greater importance to less significant sites inside Israel or co-opted what was known to be, until then, an Ottoman or Muslim tomb.

Over time, myths surrounding the different graves emerged, and Jews began making pilgrimages to these sites. The custom is practiced at tombs of Jewish sages around the world as well, including a massive yearly pilgrimage to Ukraine.

Many are nondescript tombstones while some are grand domed mausoleums. Each sage is typically associated with different requests, whether for health, wealth, love or fertility.

More than 100 such sites are considered official holy places by Israel's Tourism Ministry, meaning they are maintained with government funds. New sites are rarely added to the ministry's list because they "lack proof" that anyone of importance is interred there, said Mina Genem, a ministry official.

Nonetheless, these tombs attract Jews from all backgrounds who return year after year because they say their prayers have been answered.

Sarah Cohen, 69, said her daughter became pregnant after she prayed for her at the Baba Sali's tomb.

"I've been coming here for 20 years," she said, after flinging a candle into the red furnace. "My daughter came too because she saw that my prayers were answered."
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/24/2012, 8:06 pm

Josh, hope you don't mind I've moved this -

cheers,

Lise
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

PostSubject: Re: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/24/2012, 10:14 pm

fine, no idea where it should go
Back to top Go down
ddolmar

ddolmar

PostSubject: Re: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/25/2012, 1:10 am

You'd think that all we'd need to do to refute these ideas of holy sites and holy shrines would be to introduce the believers of various religions with such special locales to each other.

"Those other competing narratives can't possibly be true, because they conflict at so many points with my own narrative. Therefore, the determined adherents to those narratives must be mightily deluding themselves to think that their supposed saints' bones can cure their diseases. Of course it's just coincidence that they were cured soon after visiting that false shrine. Anyone can see that."

But they really are certain that they are correct, aren't they? What does that say about my beliefs? How are they really different? Hmmm..."

If we taught the next generation of children to value reason and curiosity above tribal loyalty and blind obedience, and if we didn't buy into the idea that it's somehow rude to point out religiously-inspired errors in logic, then I think that in this age of information where people *can* virtually rub shoulders with others of many beliefs, the transformation would be accomplished in very little time.

Sharp rocks rolled around in a sack together, smoothing each other out (to paraphrase RMJK...)
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/25/2012, 1:50 am

This phenomena has always baffled me. But as I have been reflecting on this post, the connection, Josh, with one of your recent Facebook links, came to mind. The following article discusses the power of the placebo effect, which is, in essence (I would contend) what the article at the top of this thread is essentially about! The link below is from Josh's fb wall:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57380893/treating-depression-is-there-a-placebo-effect/?tag=contentMain%3BcbsCarousel

Last edited by Kozan on 2/25/2012, 2:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/25/2012, 2:06 am

Excellent points Dan--and excellent strategy!

The appearance of conflicting ideologies, beliefs, and stories--about a reality, which, by its very nature, cannot be contained by any story--ought to precipitate a continually renewed effort to dig below and beyond all idealogies--using (as you say) curiosity and reason; and (as I would add) the discerning intuition of awareness itself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/25/2012, 2:29 am

Kozan wrote:
The following article discusses the power of the placebo effect, which is, in essence (I would contend) what the above article is essentially about! l

Agreeing with Kozan's comments, I would just add there is a great field of research on the placebo therapy effect. People get better, cures happen, medically and psychologically when the certainty of belief unites with potent symbols. Those in the field of psychotherapy are often pretty familiar with this phenomena, both clinically and in the literature. And the article posted by Josh seems to point to this phenomenon. The world wide experience of "holy shrines" like Lourdes, Bodhgaya, the Sufi shrines in India and Pakistan are all places of pilgrimage with notable accounts of miracle cures. From reading it would appear to me that much of shamanistic medicine may rely on the phenomenon that underlies placebo therapy and I suspect it has a connection to the power of the unconscious mind and the practices of neurolinguistic therapy and Ericksonian and other forms of hypnotherapy in its application.
Back to top Go down
mstrathern
Admin
mstrathern

PostSubject: Re: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/25/2012, 10:22 pm

No discusion of the placebo effect is complete without its shadow counter part the 'nocebo effect': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo

As always it seems there is no such thing as a free lunch!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/25/2012, 10:33 pm

Ah, hadn't heard that term, but seen it also happen. Love the word "Nocebo". The mind is filled with all kinds of tricks.
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/26/2012, 2:57 am

I must admit that I like the symmetry emerging here. (Must be the designer in me ;-)

It seems to be pointing to a notable distinction between optimism and pessimism. In essence, optimism seems to have some inherent functional advantages over pessimism!!
Back to top Go down
Ikuko

PostSubject: Nocebo   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty2/26/2012, 7:44 am

Nocebo!

A glorious nonsense!What fun!

Ikuko
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"   Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages" Empty

Back to top Go down

Article: "Israel Miracles Sought at Tombs of Sages"
Page 1 of 1