OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rev. Kaikan

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Rev. Kaikan Empty
PostSubject: Rev. Kaikan   Rev. Kaikan Empty2/22/2012, 3:19 am

Rev. Kaikan was a visitor to our home and home-based meditation group. She left suddenly as was wont to happen with resident monks, and nothing ever spoken about her again at SA. I suspected it was another case of a community member not allowed to leave in good graces and high regard. But I found her to be an edifying presence and vital human being. If anyone can shed light on what became of her, that would be appreciated. Seems like she left in the early 80s. Also if anyone can shed any light on the continuing journey of Rev. Hogetsu who I considered a friend, and a fellow pilgrim in the early days (early 70s) of the Eugene Priory, that would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
mokuan

Rev. Kaikan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev. Kaikan   Rev. Kaikan Empty2/22/2012, 12:31 pm

Ah, yes, Kaikan, that little bundle of energy. I think my legs were twice as long as hers and I could barely keep up with her. She was also the Abbey's jewler. She made the silver manjis that everyone wore. Unforetunately, I don't know where she is, and you're probably right about her not being allowed to leave in good graces. Nobody was.

As far as Hogetsu, according to the Abbey's website she attended Rev. Meian's induction cermonies. I believe Hogetsu lives in Eugene. She would certainly be an interesting person to hear from. She was very close RMJK, having been her jisha for years, and she was also married to Koshin. Though people change, I'm curious as to what she thinks he's up to. And, of course, I'd just like to know how she's doing herself.

Inquring minds want to know!Rev. Kaikan 48601
Back to top Go down

Rev. Kaikan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev. Kaikan   Rev. Kaikan Empty2/22/2012, 1:18 pm

Mokuan,
Thank you for the info on Kaikan and Hogetsu. Eugene is close to us, so perhaps we'll have an opportunity to cross paths. When we first knew Hogetsu she and Koshin were lay people living in the Eugene Priory, and planning to get married. My wife and I were also married at the Eugene Priory by the Singers, about a year later in 1973.
Blessings,
Bill
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

Rev. Kaikan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev. Kaikan   Rev. Kaikan Empty2/22/2012, 2:49 pm

I have, unfortunately, lost contact with Kaikan in recent years, although I remained in touch with her for several years after she left the OBC (which, I believe, was not entirely by her choice).

In the "it's a small world" catagory: although Kaikan was from Seattle, and I am from just north of Chicago, Kaikan's aunt (who was an exceptional artist), was a long-time, very close friend of my parents. Kaikan was also very close to her aunt, and moved to Chicago after she left the Abbey--at which point, she and my mother became close friends. Kaikan continued her art, earned a teaching credential (as I recall), and eventually taught school. My parents are no longer alive, and so, I have no current means of locating Kaikan. I've done an internet search, but the information available lists a series of addresses, without any indication of which, if any, are her current address.

Bill and Mokuan, I will let Hogetsu know that you are both interested in contacting her.
Back to top Go down

Rev. Kaikan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev. Kaikan   Rev. Kaikan Empty2/22/2012, 3:07 pm

Kozan, thank you for the information. It is satisfying to know that Kaikan pursued her gifts and continued to make an important contribution as a teacher. Thank you also for the communication regarding Hogetsu. We (my wife and I) always held her in very high regard and even if she chooses not to communicate it would be good if she knows she is cherished in our memory of her.
Back to top Go down
mokuan

Rev. Kaikan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev. Kaikan   Rev. Kaikan Empty2/22/2012, 4:50 pm

Dear Kozan,

Thank you. Do give her my warmest regards. I hope she is doing well.

mokuan
Back to top Go down
Jimyo

Jimyo

Rev. Kaikan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev. Kaikan   Rev. Kaikan Empty2/22/2012, 5:15 pm

Nice to hear about Kaikan. She and I were contemporaries and good friends.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rev. Kaikan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rev. Kaikan   Rev. Kaikan Empty

Back to top Go down

Rev. Kaikan
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OBC Connect :: OBC Connect :: Keeping in Touch-
Jump to: