OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts Empty
PostSubject: PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts   PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts Empty11/28/2011, 12:24 am

PBS just broadcast an amazing four-part series on NOVA, their science program. FABRIC OF THE COSMOS hosted by physicist Brian Greene. I believe you can watch the program free on-line -- they stream it for some weeks afterwards - might be anyone can see or just American audiences not sure?. Also there is a DVD available.

Greene is a master at translating complex new science so that people like me can sort of understand - or at least glimpse what the newest thinking is about the nature of time, space, gravity, multiple universes, the quantum world, string theory and so on. Some of what scientists are staying these days seems quite mystical. The final show was about the concept of multiple universes -- and the current theory is that there are an infinite number of other universes "out there". Yikes. The second show on the nature of time was brilliant. Highly recommended.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fabric-of-cosmos.html
Back to top Go down
breljo

breljo

PostSubject: Re: PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts   PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts Empty11/28/2011, 2:16 am

I did see the last segment of that on PBS, the string theory and parallel Universes, did not see the second one on the nature of time, Dogen of course had that all figured out (see Uji) which I always thought could not be figured out by the brain alone. In regard to the infinity of Universes, I believe it is somewhere in the Avatamsaka that tries to blow the brain and any of its theories to smithereens. Another good one on the theory of time and infinity is the maiden whose veil wears down a piece of rock or granite by brushing against it every few eons or so. I dunno, not sure how far Physics can go before this world too goes into extinction or before that big plastic debris island floating out in the Pacific smothers everything.
Back to top Go down
IanPatton

IanPatton

PostSubject: Re: PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts   PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts Empty12/18/2011, 2:10 pm

Thanks Josh ... I needed a good Sunday read. Just downloaded the book version to my Kindle Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/boogpatton
Jcbaran

Jcbaran

PostSubject: Re: PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts   PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts Empty12/18/2011, 3:26 pm

it is worth watching the 4-part program -- brilliantly done. it was streaming free on PBS.org for American viewers - not sure it's still up. also the DVD is available -- i just bought it for my dad who loves all things about astronomy, space, etc.
Back to top Go down
mokuan

PostSubject: Re: PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts   PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts Empty12/18/2011, 10:36 pm

Hi Josh,

I've been watching this, too, and loving it. Thanks for mentioning it to everyone.

mokuan
Back to top Go down
Carol

Carol

PostSubject: Re: PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts   PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts Empty12/20/2011, 1:05 am

Thanks, Josh. How about those little vibrating strings that are at the heart of it all? I loved the series! By the way, the show points out that even Einstein could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts   PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts Empty

Back to top Go down

PBS Series - Fabric of the Cosmos - Four parts
Page 1 of 1