OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?

Go down 
+7
breljo
lesley
Lise
ddolmar
Kozan
Stan Giko
glorfindel
11 posters
AuthorMessage
glorfindel

glorfindel

Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty
PostSubject: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/13/2011, 7:07 am

Click my reason
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/14/2011, 2:13 pm

Hey Glorfindel,

That Vonnegut guy`s o.k but uses way too many words.

Oscar Wilde, when in france one time, wanted to know how things were going
with his new book. Wanting to get to the point, he just sent a blank sheet of
paper with just a simple " ? ".

Not to be outdone, his publisher`s reply came back with a simple " ! " .

Keep cool, Stan.
Back to top Go down
glorfindel

glorfindel

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/14/2011, 7:46 pm

Vonnegut isn't all that wordy. How could you possibly have forgotten Vonnegut's fifth rule of writing????? I will quote it below in its entirety:

Ahem. Ready?

Ok. here we go:

>>>>>>Kurt Vonnegut's Fifth Rule of Writing<<<<<<<<

"5. Start as close to the end as possible."

And there you have it. Kurt Vonnegut, everyone's favourite writer, and his fifth rule of writing.

But, yea, Oscar Wilde is definitely one of the coolest cats in town.

Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/14/2011, 9:06 pm

Love that 5th rule!
Back to top Go down
ddolmar

ddolmar

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/15/2011, 1:06 am

Wonder what Wilde would be writing today? The Importance of Being In Earnest, maybe?

Never heard of too many words, Stan. Thomas Pynchon is my favorite, and his best novel (IMO) is Against The Day, which clocked in at about 1,085 pages.

Soon enough I'm gonna re-hit War and Peace, then the Avatamsaka Sutra, then Infinite Jest, Cryptonomicon, Remembrance of Things Past, and The Lord of the Rings, in which Glorfindel plays a small but crucial role.

The great thing about a very long read is that you get to be lost in a single created world for a couple months.

N.B. Maybe that partially explains the absurd length of some of my posts.

Last edited by ddolmar on 8/15/2011, 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't tell Stan from Isan...need eyes checkup)
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/15/2011, 1:13 am

I also especially like the last of Vonnegut's 8 Rules:

"8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages."

And less well known perhaps, his bonus 9th summary rule, based on a quote from Paul Engle, recorded in an interview by the Paris Review:

"(9). Don't take it all so seriously."
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/15/2011, 1:26 am

Dan, sometimes starting as close to the end as possible still requires 1,085 pages to get there! ;-)
Back to top Go down
glorfindel

glorfindel

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/15/2011, 4:11 am

ddolmar wrote:
The Lord of the Rings, in which Glorfindel plays a small but crucial role.

Heh! Wrong Glorfindel! I'm the one that died protecting the escapees of The Hidden City long before the floods came and swallowed up most of the world.

+1 to Kozan's last post.

BTW here are Glorfindel's 3 wonderful rules of writing (fiction):

1 forget grammar. (you can deal with it later).
2 Be a NINJA. (Drop into the scene, snip its carotid artery and get out).
3a Scribble. (Scribble out nearly everything you write).
3b Adjectives and adverbs are not your friends.
3c Listen to your Inner Cringe. (If something you wrote makes you cringe a little bit, it will make others cringe alot).

The 3s are all related.The things that most make you cringe will be your adjectives and adverbs and they will be what you will be scribbling out. In fact I'm tempted to scribble out rule 3b. It makes me want to fall asleep before I get to the end of the sentence.....

Back to top Go down
ddolmar

ddolmar

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/15/2011, 9:17 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
Heh! Wrong Glorfindel!

Blasted Gondolin elves.
Back to top Go down
glorfindel

glorfindel

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/16/2011, 3:20 pm

ooooh! A Tolkien scholar! Smile
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/16/2011, 9:52 pm

Rudyard Kipling, Roald Dahl, Shel Silverstein, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Maurice Sendak, Kenneth Grahame.

My son's bookshelf holds all my favourites.
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
lesley

lesley

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/17/2011, 4:37 pm

As a teenager I loved Emily Bronte's"Wuthering Heights",so impossibly romantic, and also nearly all the books written by Elizabeth Goudge including "The Little White Horse" which J.K.Rowling also loved. Later on I was a great Anthony Trollope fan and also discovered Patrick O'Brian's wonderful British Navy tales. Nowadays I love Proust,Rose Tremaine,Ed McBain,Margaret Attwood,Isaac Asimov,Arthur C Clarke,pretty eclectic choices, sorry for going on...with gassho, Lesley Sleep
Back to top Go down
breljo

breljo

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/18/2011, 6:31 pm

Can't really name a favorite writer, so many great ones, but one of them has to be Sigrid Undset and her novel, "Kristin Lavransdatter" set in medieval Norway. still undergoing conversion to Christianity at the time. Undset had such an ability to describe the character and mindset of a nordic people, essence of a period and place that somehow, whenever for some reason I think of the book, I can hear Griegs "In the Hall of the Mountain King" playing inthe background.
Back to top Go down
mstrathern
Admin
mstrathern

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/18/2011, 9:06 pm

The reason I always liked Kurt Vonnegut was his humanity that he always struggled hard to express, but also more importantly for the way he treats his characters as real persons and with complete equality.

But my favourite author would have to be another man who struggled with personally having seen, experienced and understood the dark side of man and that is Joseph Conrad. 'The Heart of Darkness' is wonderfully written and implies the equality that for a Roman soldier the Thames leading past London would have led to the same heart of darkness as did Conrad's African river, or even the present day Thames, '...the tranquil waterway leading to the uttermost ends of the earth flowed sombre under an overcast sky - seemed to lead into the heart of an immense darkness.'

Of course a close second would have to be A. A. Milne for 'Winnie-the-Pooh' and his poetry.
Back to top Go down
mokuan

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty8/19/2011, 7:59 pm

And since no one has mentioned Somerset Maugham-- the author of my No.1 most favorite book to date -- allow me to.

And, of course, who could forget Nikos Kazantzakis. Everything he wrote is priceless.
Back to top Go down
IanPatton

IanPatton

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty11/27/2011, 2:32 pm

J.K. Rowling Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? 485545
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/boogpatton
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty5/30/2012, 3:25 am

Kurt Vonnegut: The Only Rule:

"There's only one rule I know of...You've got to be kind."

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/01/the-only-rule-kurt-vonnegut/
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty5/31/2012, 1:02 pm

we could probably trade away all the other rules for that one, couldn't we -
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
danstaples

danstaples

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty7/4/2012, 3:38 am

THE THIRD EYE, T. Lobsand Rampa

IN THE CAVE OF THE ANCIENTS, T. Lobsang Rampa

THE EGYPTIAN, Mika Waltari

GONE WITH THE WIND, Margaret Mitchell

A TIME TO KILL, John Grisham

THE KEY TO REBECCA, Ken Follet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut?   Who is your favourite writer, and why is it Kurt Vonnegut? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1