OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Personal Journal Entries...dare we?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sugin

sugin

Personal Journal Entries...dare we? Empty
PostSubject: Personal Journal Entries...dare we?   Personal Journal Entries...dare we? Empty7/6/2010, 8:47 pm

I often kept a journal while visiting at the Abbey and it brings back to me the feelings I had at that time. It is not profound, actually pretty mundane, but yet in simple things we see the truth. So I will be brave and start with an entry which is a beginning....

--Arrived at Shasta Abbey at 2:15 P.M.
We rang the buzzer and were greated and admitted. The beauty and the wonder of the place came back to me. I was in room 17 the same room as last time. J and I visited the new stupa. I should write down the inscriptions. It is now 3:50 and I am very sleepy. My room mate is V.

Your turn....
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Personal Journal Entries...dare we?   Personal Journal Entries...dare we? Empty7/6/2010, 11:04 pm

I didn't know I still had these notes. This one had to be from one of my earliest stays at the Abbey. It's hard to remember now.

Early 2001:

''See! The wooden figure sings, and the stone maiden dances . . . this is my favorite line of the sutra.

I didn't do any better with the drum this morning. I am dreading the noise it makes. A chime or a bell would be better on the ears and nervous system.

I wish I knew when it was okay to talk. The monks seem to have different rules for that. Actually I would rather do my work in the kitchen without talking to anybody -- it's too confusing."

Hard to imagine that at one time, these were my biggest issues in a typical day at the Abbey --
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: good memories   Personal Journal Entries...dare we? Empty7/7/2010, 1:41 pm

This one is also from early days in 2001, must have been summer:

"Noticing sounds this weekend. Wind in the treetops, birdsong, train whistles, the bell outside the dining hall, a broom swishing against the pavement. I could have sat for a long time this morning listening to the fountain outside the ceremony hall -- quiet splash & gurgles. It's getting hot early in the day."

I didn't journal for very long -- spent most of my free time reading. It's nice to have those few entries to look back on.
Back to top Go down
sugin

sugin

PostSubject: Re: Personal Journal Entries...dare we?   Personal Journal Entries...dare we? Empty7/7/2010, 2:17 pm

"There have been forest fires to the West and Grants Pass to Shasta is blanketed in smoke. The air is warm but the heat is not oppressive. I spoke to my daughter at 4 pm. "
"1:30 p.m. Monday Aug. 19. My Birthday! The last evening was very difficult. I felt stressed and anxious at the sitting (almost an anxiety attack). I kept thinking if I get through a few sittings it will be easier. I took 2 Tylenol PM before bed."
Tuesday---" I slept well enough but the 5:20 bell is always a shock. I move in an automated fashion. The morning was cool and not too smokey yet. The sitting was long and difficult. What is the point??? Breakfast prep was enjoyable and I liked cleaning the celery, broccoli, cauliflower and pitting millions of plums. The kitchen people are: M., V., K., and Rev. Chosia and Rev. Serena."

I bet you all are on pins and needles waiting for the next installment of the gripping account??
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Personal Journal Entries...dare we?   Personal Journal Entries...dare we? Empty7/7/2010, 10:36 pm

Only if you tell us something really outrageous, like, maybe you stayed up past Lights Out in order to read Shocked or pretended to be singing those screechy Wesak carols when you weren't, cause you just didn't want to Rolling Eyes or got snarky with another lay person who was messing up your Community Work detail Mad Not that I have done anything like that myself, 'cause I haven't. Really.

I'll bet you have some tales to tell, Sugin. It's always the quiet ones. Wink
Back to top Go down
Robert
Admin
Robert

PostSubject: Re: Personal Journal Entries...dare we?   Personal Journal Entries...dare we? Empty9/3/2010, 9:22 am

It's always interesting to read what others write in their journals, the things everyone is thinking but daren't actually say out loud! I found an entry from August 2006, a month into my time at Throssel:

"Being a renewal day, I decided to walk to Allendale which is 6 1/2 – 7 miles each way. For the occasion, although walking along the road, I thought that boots would be a good idea. The only boots I have here are the new, industrial, work boots with steel toe, and yes, steel sole. The state of my feet tells the rest of the story; blisters on both soles and on the left heel, oh and pulled groin muscles due to the weight of them after sandals. Actually it was a lovely walk and a good distance. I went alone which was essential."

We live and we learn!!
Back to top Go down
sugin

sugin

PostSubject: Re: Personal Journal Entries...dare we?   Personal Journal Entries...dare we? Empty9/3/2010, 10:54 am

How is your time at Throssel Hole? I wonder how similar it really is to Shasta Abbey? I, also, enjoy the notes of others.
Back to top Go down
Robert
Admin
Robert

PostSubject: Re: Personal Journal Entries...dare we?   Personal Journal Entries...dare we? Empty9/3/2010, 12:42 pm

As I've not been to Shasta, it's hard to say. I've heard that lay trainees are more involved at Throssel, attending the spiritual direction and renewal of vows ceremonies, but I really couldn't say beyond that. I doubt either place is "easy" to be at.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Personal Journal Entries...dare we?   Personal Journal Entries...dare we? Empty

Back to top Go down

Personal Journal Entries...dare we?
Page 1 of 1