OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Intro - Jason

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jason

New Intro - Jason Empty
PostSubject: New Intro - Jason   New Intro - Jason Empty5/27/2011, 2:19 pm

I just discovered this forum--I didn't even know the OBC had an online forum. I'm overjoyed to find this community! Smile

I first discovered Shasta Abbey about 4-5 years ago, went there for a retreat, then went back two more times for various events and stays. I'm now planning my fourth trip, which I hope to make this fall. My times at the Abbey have been some of the best experiences in my life, and I'm very thankful for it.

Thank you for creating this community, I'm happy to have found it!
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

New Intro - Jason Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Intro - Jason   New Intro - Jason Empty5/27/2011, 3:26 pm

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum. You might have discovered (or soon will) that we are an assorted bunch here, mostly former sangha (ex-monks and laity both) but there are current members too. Diverse views, many different voices, and so much Shasta/OBC history can be found here, especially in the Introductory threads.

I would like to clarify that the forum is not sponsored by nor affiliated with the OBC in any way. They do have a closed forum called "Brightmoon" that can be found at http://brightmoon.org/content/bright-moon.

Please feel free to participate here, when and as you want to, and again, welcome.

best,
Lise
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Jason

New Intro - Jason Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Intro - Jason   New Intro - Jason Empty5/27/2011, 3:35 pm

Hi Lise, thanks for your welcome.

Indeed, after reading a few posts here (which I probably should have done before introducing myself, but I got excited and couldn't wait), I begin to see that this forum is not necessarily a "pro-OBC" community.

Some of the posts sound like this might be a community for disgruntled or disillusioned ex-OBC members. (Posts about the OBC being a "cult," etc.)

Therefore I apologize for my rash introductory post, and I will slow down and read a bit more before rushing to contribute.

Thanks,
Jason
Back to top Go down
Lise
Admin
Lise

New Intro - Jason Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Intro - Jason   New Intro - Jason Empty5/27/2011, 4:11 pm

Please don't apologise; you are welcome to be on this forum and to have introduced yourself.

It is much harder, obviously, for current members to feel they can voice their opinions but they absolutely can do so. There's no getting around the fact that being in the minority is discouraging for many people, and they are afraid they'll be shouted down for expressing anything positive, but that doesn't mean they should avoid the forum for that reason.

It happens all the time that people sign up here before they see the depth and breadth of experience among our members. It does come as a shock, and I'm sorry for that. I can imagine how I would have felt, eight or nine years ago, if I'd seen some of this without any preparation or negative experiences of my own. But then, if I had seen this early on, I do think I would have been better prepared in the long run --

You might take us in small doses, to begin with . . . just a bit of advice . . .

L.
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Howard

Howard

New Intro - Jason Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Intro - Jason   New Intro - Jason Empty5/27/2011, 7:50 pm

Welcome aboard Jason.

When you first introduced yourself I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
It did and your response was gracious.

The biggest blindness with "this community" is the lack of representation by those who remain active members of the OBC community.

I hope you stick around or at least poke your head in now & again to give us your perspective.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://hrmitchell54@yahoo.com
Jimyo

Jimyo

New Intro - Jason Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Intro - Jason   New Intro - Jason Empty5/28/2011, 2:04 pm

Jim, in case you haven't gathered, some of us have left but are still not "disgruntled or disillusioned". I stick around here to see who turns up, and post very occasionally - you'll find my posts if you hunt around enough. My only advice would be to take things as YOU find them; everyone's experience is different.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Intro - Jason Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Intro - Jason   New Intro - Jason Empty

Back to top Go down

New Intro - Jason
Page 1 of 1