OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Assessment by FaithTrust

Go down 
+18
glorfindel
Machik
Nicky
polly
chisanmichaelhughes
Kozan
Henry
Diana
ddolmar
breljo
john
mstrathern
Ol'ga
Howard
mokuan
Isan
Jcbaran
Lise
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Lise
Admin
Lise

Assessment by FaithTrust  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Assessment by FaithTrust    Assessment by FaithTrust  - Page 5 Empty5/7/2011, 1:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

This was received this morning:

"From: [deleted
Subject: Fw: For the etree please
To: [deleted
Received: Saturday, 8 May, 2011, 17:16 p.m.

--- On Fri, 5/6/11, Reverend Helen Cummings <revhelencummings@gmail.com> wrote:
From: Reverend Helen Cummings <revhelencummings@gmail.com>
Subject: For the etree please
To: [deleted]
Date: Friday, May 6, 2011, 5:07 PM

Dear friends, we have posted a Special Announcement from the OBC Steering Group for the Faith Trust Institute (FTI) assessment at Shasta Abbey on our website http://www.shastaabbey.org. You may get the full text through the News and Announcements on the Opening Page or on the News Page.

In gassho. The Prior"
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net

AuthorMessage
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Assessment by FaithTrust    Assessment by FaithTrust  - Page 5 Empty9/20/2011, 5:07 pm

Last I heard from FTI was that they were assuming the report (I don't know which "version" of it) was going to be made public. It will be really interesting if they do not release it. Just hearing Lise's account of the hierarchical structure of the OBC's communication and processes is an oppressive reminder of their politics and power structure. I can't believe people can stand it! I'm so very absolutely grateful to be free from that oppression!
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Assessment by FaithTrust    Assessment by FaithTrust  - Page 5 Empty9/20/2011, 6:35 pm

Well there is a surprise,I think it was Daishin from Throssel who said in support of JK that she could spot an ego from 100 yards or some distance, I think I can not only spot one at closer distance but can smell a rat too
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Assessment by FaithTrust    Assessment by FaithTrust  - Page 5 Empty9/21/2011, 12:13 am

If there have been allegations of a sexual nature then the lay people and innocent vulnerable people must know about it
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Assessment by FaithTrust    Assessment by FaithTrust  - Page 5 Empty9/21/2011, 1:56 am

Lise wrote:
my thoughts - it's a mistake to withhold information from any member of the community.

Lise, I think that you are exactly right, and that this is, in fact, the crux of the matter. (I think that many others have expressed this perception, in various ways, on the Forum as well).

In my perception, RMJK condemned virtually all critiques of her behavior, and any recognition or acknowledgement of her mistakes or shortcomings--out of her personal fear of betrayal, and her fear that she and the OBC might be found lacking in integrity.

In essence: critique = betrayal = a perceived loss of integrity = the worst case scenario-nightmare.

These fears are very understandable--as unhealed existential trauma. I think it likely that we have all experienced them in some form!

The problem arises when we enter into denial. RMJK's denial led to repression, a loss of awareness and, therefore, the inability to heal her own existential trauma back into Awareness itself. Denial sets the fear in concrete. The dynamic became part of her own shadow. And therefore, part of the OBC's shadow as well.

Not surprisingly--denial never works! The denial of shortcomings and mistakes, and an unwillingness to discuss, recognize, acknowledge, or learn from mistakes, inevitably leads to the very conditions of failure that RMJK most feared.

If the OBC chooses to, in effect, suppress the FTI report by withholding it, they will be acting true to form out of fear, and reinforcing the very causal dynamic that creates the problem in the first place.

My conviction is that this trajectory leads to the inevitable demise of the OBC as a credible vehicle for spiritual practice--as a result of preserving a fear-based institutional dynamic that undermines awareness.

The alternative (again, in my opinion), would be for the OBC to accept everything--and relax back into Awareness itself--by fully acknowledging everything that has occurred. This alternative would require the OBC to embody the principles of spiritual practice that it espouses.

This will be scary. It will also be an enormous relief for all currently active members of the OBC. Beyond the occasional drama of her own fear--this is, in fact, what RMJK taught us to do. For the OBC to choose unconditional openness, will exhibit the greatest possible respect and gratitude for RMJK's teaching--and confirm its innate integrity.

It seems to me that the OBC is at a crossroads. I think that the choices made this month, at the Conclave, will likely prove to be critical. I hope that sanity prevails.

Last edited by Kozan on 9/21/2011, 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correcting two misspelled words)
Back to top Go down
ddolmar

PostSubject: Re: Assessment by FaithTrust    Assessment by FaithTrust  - Page 5 Empty9/21/2011, 2:28 am

Me too, Kozan, and very well said. I worry also for the future of the OBC if the leadership fails to do something very brave here. "We did this. We were blind, and cruel, and we sucked at our vocations in some significant ways, and we're very sorry." Heck RM Meian has already said nearly as much. Why do they think any additional apologies and/or restitution will be worse than everyone wondering what was hidden from view?

The senior folks of any organization have to make some decisions that have a broad impact to the whole organization behind closed doors, without having their every word second-guessed. But afterward there should be an opportunity for all of the junior folks to understand the basis of those decisions. In this case, that basis is the report.

Y'know, it occurred to me that the report might contain libelous statements against Mike Little. In that case, releasing the report could subject the OBC to the incredible situation of being sued by its former abbott. Maybe I shouldn't open that can of worms...

Also, it might be that the report summary may contain sufficient detail that even a fairly interested person doesn't feel the need to read the full report. Executive summaries are supposed to contain all of the major points of fact, reasoning, and conclusion of a main document.

But if the senior monks think that there is a good reason to withhold the full report, then at the very least I hope that they give a very thorough public explanation, and provide time for questions.

But (but but but) even that's not going to prevent the report eventually leaking, either at their end or at FTI's. That seems nearly inevitable.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Assessment by FaithTrust    Assessment by FaithTrust  - Page 5 Empty9/21/2011, 3:02 am

Agree
when I was told that Gensho had 'Run off with the devil' I did not believe it
When I was told Daiji was 'scared' I did not believe it.
These statements are protecting their position,protecting their view, protecting their opinion.
This is not zazen.
Whereas being open to mistakes admitting mistakes,accepting their situation truthfully is certainly the start of zazen, it is a fundamental part of Soto Zen practice
I do however remain confused with all the name changes of reformed Soto Zen ..to OBC all the different titles whether the actual pure practice of zazen has been left behind too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assessment by FaithTrust    Assessment by FaithTrust  - Page 5 Empty9/21/2011, 9:16 am

@Kozan

Many thanks for your clarity and wisdom of perception in this matter. A truly excellent analysis of the current moment in the history of the OBC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assessment by FaithTrust    Assessment by FaithTrust  - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Assessment by FaithTrust
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OBC Connect :: OBC Connect :: OBC Experiences-
Jump to: