OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Time to take a break with a couple of music videos

Go down 
+3
Nicky
indira
Isan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Isan
Admin
Isan

Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty
PostSubject: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty11/23/2010, 5:05 pm

Time to take a break from the struggle for knowledge and redemption and have a listen sunny

Close Your Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEWbwUJuYiE

She Loves Me When I Try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfVXjoribVQ

I'm a big fan of James Taylor and Dougie Maclean, the authors of "Close Your Eyes" and "She Loves Me When I Try" respectively. I started playing/singing this style of music after I left Shasta Abbey and it definitely helped on the road of recovery. Comments welcome on both the performance and production values - I plan to make a few more of these and hopefully can improve my technique.

Happy Holidays!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty11/23/2010, 7:36 pm

Hey Isan,

How great! You have such a warm rich voice. We have music in common, I put myself through nursing school by singing in a band. A couple of bands actually. One blues, one country-rock. Just bought myself an acoustic guitar recently to see if I could pick it up again. Think I need lessons... I can't remember the finger-picking I used to do at all. You inspire me.

Thanks for the bright spot.
Polly

Last edited by polly on 11/23/2010, 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : it was needed)
Back to top Go down
indira

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty11/23/2010, 9:03 pm

Isan,

I enjoyed your performances, you have a lovely voice! I seem to recall you playing guitar when I was small...

I have zero musical aptitude or skill, have always envied those with both. So, thanks for the peek into your musical life!

Happy Holidays to you!

Susanna
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty11/23/2010, 9:23 pm

polly wrote:
Hey Isan,

How great! You have such a warm rich voice. We have music in common, I put myself through nursing school by singing in a band.

Thanks for the bright spot.

Polly

Thanks for the favorable review :-) I've been fortunate to have music in my life from when I was very young. One of the bright spots for me at Shasta Abbey was precenting for ceremonies. It may not be generally known that RMJK was a music major in university and played the organ at the Abbey on rare occasions. Music was one of the positive things we shared. I've been in bands on and off. The last one had a Celtic focus which included a lot of Dougie Maclean's songs. I haven't been doing much with it lately, but I try to keep limber.
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty11/23/2010, 9:30 pm

indira wrote:
Isan,

I enjoyed your performances, you have a lovely voice! I seem to recall you playing guitar when I was small...

I have zero musical aptitude or skill, have always envied those with both. So, thanks for the peek into your musical life!

Happy Holidays to you!

Susanna

Thanks for the kind words. I seem to remember Komei and I singing a little ditty to you called "Jizo Bosatsu, He's the World's Biggest Man". I played guitar for that and it's probably what you're remembering.

Happy Holidays to you too!

Peace and good door-busters sunny
Back to top Go down
Nicky

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty11/24/2010, 5:02 am

Isan ,
I love your singing , your voice - the tone of it is moving , don't change anything.
'close your eyes' is perfect . thank you .
That's the way to do it .
( all these days reading every thing posted on this forum ive been trying to formulate what /how to say my bit , and for the moment thanks to you , no need to post anything ) .
More thanks Nicky .
Back to top Go down
http://www.Nickyloutit.co.uk
Lise
Admin
Lise

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty11/24/2010, 9:12 am

Chiming in to say that I loved them too, thank you, Isan.

If there's a chance you might play in public sometime I hope you will let us know when/where yes
Back to top Go down
https://obcconnect.forumotion.net
Robert
Admin
Robert

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty11/24/2010, 3:29 pm

Hi Isan,

Somehow I didn't pick up that it was you performing from your intro...Thank you for sharing them, I very much enjoyed listening and will do so again - probably more than once!

RMJK was at Trinity College of Music in London where she studied the organ and four-part harmony (Gregorian chant). The college she was in moved about ten years or so ago, but she studied in Mandeville Place at the end of Marylebone High Street, in between Bond Street and Baker Street tubes. There were three or possibly four organs in the college and one in the church opposite. In her diaries she mentions the Slavation Army place where she sang hymns etc for tea and a biscuit. That's just round the corner on Oxford Street. It's no surprise really that there are so many re-worded old hymns in the festivals given her history of organ playing and singing in choirs.
Back to top Go down
IanPatton

IanPatton

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty12/2/2010, 10:25 am

Well done Isan! You play and sing very well!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/boogpatton
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty12/3/2010, 7:26 pm

IanPatton wrote:
Well done Isan! You play and sing very well!

Hey, thanks! I hope to do a few more soon. When I put them up I'll let people know. Time to take a break with a couple of music videos 209500
Back to top Go down
Henry

Henry

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty12/4/2010, 12:01 pm

Isan,
It was such a pleasure to see those videos. Not only was the music and performance excellent, but it brought me back to just sitting and talking with you. You were very helpful to me as a young monk. Seeing those videos, the years fell away I could remember exactly how you looked and how much I liked you and enjoyed talking to you. In the videos I could remember you as a whole person, rather than just seeing words and ideas written on a page. Kind of amazing. Excuse the sentimentality--it's true though.
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty12/4/2010, 1:43 pm

Kaizan wrote:
Isan,

Seeing those videos, the years fell away I could remember exactly how you looked and how much I liked you and enjoyed talking to you. In the videos I could remember you as a whole person, rather than just seeing words and ideas written on a page. Kind of amazing. Excuse the sentimentality--it's true though.

Thanks, the feeling is mutual. And if you can't be a little schmaltzy over the holidays when can you? santa
Back to top Go down
Henry

Henry

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty12/4/2010, 7:50 pm

Back to knowledge and redemption:
After watching your videos, I remembered our last conversation. Your leaving the abbey, as many had done, made me feel particularly confused, as I had on many occasions gone to you for spiritual advice and I, not being in the inner circle, saw you as a stalwart Shasta-ite. I remeber I asked you why you were leaving and you said something like: "I'm leaving for my own reasons. Don't worry about what they are or what I'm doing, just do what you feel is right."

It's sad that it had to be 25 years or more later on an internet site until I could hear your real thoughts on the subject. It speaks to so much of what we are talking about here. We could speak openly of spiritual experiences but you felt unable to be honest about what you thought about the place we both lived. I guess we both know why to do so was so problematic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to take a break with a couple of music videos   Time to take a break with a couple of music videos Empty

Back to top Go down

Time to take a break with a couple of music videos
Page 1 of 1