OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bill Wyatt Kembo

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/25/2016, 3:25 pm

A great friend of mine Kembo has died
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/26/2016, 2:32 am

Hey, really sad to hear of that Michael.   He was a lovely guy and I remember him well from the `old` times.  First cook we had at Throssel I believe....did a mean custard !  may he find true peace. _/\_
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/26/2016, 3:37 am

Yes Stan I feel very sad Bill was a great friend. yes custard! I phoned Mark and told him last night and hopefully he will write here
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/26/2016, 8:54 am

chisanmichaelhughes wrote:
A great friend of mine Kembo has died

My condolences Mike.  Do you know if Bill ever went to Shasta?  His name rings a bell.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/26/2016, 9:08 am

Hi Isan yes he was Tenzo there for 18 months I believe. I would have thought 74 75. He was a well known poet  we had some adventures and fun and I will write (some!) when I have digested the news a bit.
Back to top Go down
Isan
Admin
Isan

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/26/2016, 9:19 am

chisanmichaelhughes wrote:
Hi Isan yes he was Tenzo there for 18 months I believe. I would have thought 74 75. He was a well known poet  we had some adventures and fun and I will write (some!) when I have digested the news a bit.

Thanks Mike.  I look forward to your reminiscences.  Perhaps you can find a picture of Bill as well?
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/26/2016, 9:36 am

here are some nice ones from a poetry festival
http://www.strange-attractor.co.uk/btu2008.htm
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/26/2016, 2:15 pm

Very sad news.

I remember Kembo vividly from his time at Shasta. His cooking was superb in general--and his custard in particular!
Back to top Go down
mstrathern
Admin
mstrathern

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/26/2016, 7:35 pm

Yes, very sad. As I remember him,  Kembo was always true to himself. A gentle, slightly shy but unswayable rock of a man. England has lost a sensitive poet, a fine gardener and a redoubtable custard maker. I will always remember him with great fondness for the time we shared together at Throssel.
Back to top Go down
Kozan
Admin
Kozan

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/26/2016, 11:12 pm

Michael, Stan, and Mark, all wonderful thoughts.

I remember Kembo--as I am certain that some of you have mentioned in the past as well--for his delightful sense of humor (or humour   Wink ).

And I also remember him, in particular, for his always easy good natured demeanor (or again, as you would say, demeanour Wink ).

A wonderful person, indeed...
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty5/27/2016, 2:20 am

I met Bill in 1970 at the second sesshin JK did. I met Mark and Mike Lesser as well. Bill at that time was known as Tibetan Bill, we both stayed on at Sarum house a community of  mainly friends of the Western Buddhist order . The community worked well with many different types of people. 
During this time I got to know Bill really well I remember going out to hidden away places in Surrey there was an old pub where we could camp in the barn and walk and find some hidden away lakes and refresh ourselves in the pub. We tended to go to many places where we would refresh ourselves and there happened to be poetry or arty friends popping up.
I remember it clearly when Mark came back from Shasta Bill joined him at Throssel hole farm for the start of something we all believed in.
Bill became cook  and  was later joined by Ed Cherlin Mokurai.
 I moved to London and started a priory there Bill joined and later went to Shasta.
 After leaving Shasta he  came back to his life in England and disappeared off the radar for a bit. However he went and stayed with Bob Aitkin in Hawaii. 
This time was in valuable for Bill we spoke a lot about it . Bob and Bill were a good match shared interest in poetry, and the long sitting and koan practice and very clear guidance from Bob clarified many things for Bill and did him a lot of good. I could feel the clarity of his time there when he stayed with us in Cornwall
Of course many things we said and did are private, he did go back to Throssel again and he did continue writing Haiku where he is recognised worldwide as a great poet.
He remains a long standing great friend with whom I shared a spiritual journey.
I miss him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bill Wyatt Kembo   Bill Wyatt Kembo Empty

Back to top Go down

Bill Wyatt Kembo
Page 1 of 1