OBC Connect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OBC Connect

A site for those with an interest in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, past or present, and related subjects.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hell realms and masturbation

Go down 
+2
tufsoft
sianabelle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sianabelle

sianabelle

Hell realms and masturbation Empty
PostSubject: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty5/4/2015, 8:02 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_on_masturbation#Judaism

This activity leads to suffering and involves increasing levels of greed, hate and delusion.
Back to top Go down
tufsoft

PostSubject: Re: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty5/4/2015, 11:05 am

What, Judaism?
Back to top Go down
http://www.tufsoft.com
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty5/5/2015, 12:35 pm

I think Sianabelle that religious form can be incredibly helpful and incredibly deceiving at the same time. I think we have spent a lot of time here discussing aspects of that. As soon as one finds a spiritual place or special circumstance in formal zen the rug is often whipped from beneath our feet, and in non formal circumstances life does this quite naturally.It can take a long time to understand the questions one needs to ask and maybe a long time to find the answers, one needs to be patient and kind; maybe we shouldnt cling to religious form nor daily life but find something inside ourself that gives  the question and answer.
Back to top Go down
sianabelle

sianabelle

PostSubject: Re: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty8/24/2015, 3:58 pm

It feels like a long time since I posted this one and my sister has since reminded me that Wikipedia is not a reliable source (some of her students used to reference it against her advice making her sigh). Thank you for posting a response though. I guess the questions that I was thinking on have to do with a sense of isolation in a general way that seem to have come up and the words patient and kind are key so thank you. As I type I'm listening to a program on TV about scientology and the witnessess, a few stories about when things go wrong in a religious context. I guess I'm interested in the history of the OBC having read how at one time there were married monks, and how the organization evolved and more importantly wondering where it may be going in the future.
Back to top Go down
chisanmichaelhughes

chisanmichaelhughes

PostSubject: Re: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty8/25/2015, 5:40 pm

I agree the sense of isolation is key and is key to so many issues. When we are strong we dont feel isolated and when we feel weak we fall apart and feel isolated,these feelings may well be illusional but when caught   up in them they sure feel real,Looking at it from a perspective of zazen when we sit still and allow our 'self' to drop away our feeling of isolation and separateness drops away too.

Immersed in our self
we paint many pictures of
our own dreams
Back to top Go down
glorfindel

glorfindel

PostSubject: Re: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty9/8/2015, 6:03 am

It's fun. Anything else is just a load of ideas going around your head.

Give it a try.
Back to top Go down
david.

PostSubject: Re: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty11/5/2015, 10:16 am

Its amazing to me how much judgmentalism, and underneath how much emotional power we as human beings invest in sexuality.

The stories I have read re Jiyu Kennett suggest to me that she was sexually repressed and often used her position to use sexuality to undermine other people.

I think that judgementalism over sexuality is endemic in our society.

Words like masturbation, abortion, infidelity, rape, homosexuality, promiscuity, sado-masochism, titilating, beastial, fornicating (to name a few) can conjure up in all of us strong emotional and judgemental reactions. 

It also amazes me that making love and rape are essentially identical acts physically, but feel to the people involved at opposite ends of human experience. So its not what you do its the way that you do it...

Also Freud and the world of psychology has  a huge amount of wisdom re sexuality, and the subconscious drives that we learn in early childhood. And how they are far more powerful than we realise. Unless we listen a bit deeper.

In psychotherapy, "deviant" sexual behaviour is  not seen as something to be judgemental about, but more a vehicle to listen deeper into ourselves to find out whats really driving us. Michael's loneliness and isolation is one such possibility.

Also in Psychotherapy, judgementalism is seen as an off-switch to listening. And it is only by listening deeper that we find our real non-conscious drives, that were put there in early childhood. 

Behaviour is not going to change on the surface if the root cause is not allowed out into the open.

For me and for everyone i have known at any depth, sexuality is fundamentally a vulnerable and opening place, where we contact in a very real way the exposure of our infancy and our relationships with our mother and father. As every counsellor and psychotherapist knows, this is why most sexual relationships fail, as most do. Where other than in psychotherapy is this talked about in any detail, and with any sense of its real importance to who I really think I am?
Back to top Go down
david.

PostSubject: Re: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty11/5/2015, 10:17 am

and Glorfindel, you are naughty!
Back to top Go down
Stan Giko

Stan Giko

PostSubject: Re: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty11/5/2015, 11:45 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJmg-879j5o
Back to top Go down
david.

PostSubject: Re: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty11/6/2015, 6:58 pm

oh oh my major childhood smutty humour influence! I've been outed!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hell realms and masturbation   Hell realms and masturbation Empty

Back to top Go down

Hell realms and masturbation
Page 1 of 1